College Corner: Week 3 Sports Edition

Bentley Frost and Luca Ferraioli

Each Week, College Corner interviews five LFHS seniors on where they’re planning to attend college next year, what influenced their decision, and what they’re most excited about.

Name: Chelsea Tzau

College: Colby College

Sport: Lacrosse

Location: Waterville, Maine

Mascot: White Mule

Did you always want to play a sport in college?:

“I originally thought that I would end up at a big state school. However, after talking to my sister, who goes to a medium sized school (Vanderbilt), I knew I wanted to go to a small school with small classes where I could become really close to people. I began to want to play a sport in college, whether club or regular, after continuously following the players from the Women’s USA national team as a kid, many of whom played college lacrosse. Going to a small academically challenging institution and playing lacrosse started to align with both of my goals and became the perfect opportunity for me to play in college.”

Why Colby?:

“I chose Colby because of the small size and incredibly tight knit community. The community surrounding Colby and everyone I have connected with so far are all incredibly welcoming and focused on all helping each other succeed. I also chose Colby because I wanted a balance between playing a sport and attending a school with academic rigor, which Colby has.” 

What are you most excited about?:

“I am most excited about experiencing the outdoors in Maine!! I love hiking, skiing / snowboarding, swimming at beaches, all of which Colby has. I am also super excited to experience being part of a team and also super excited to meet new people from all different backgrounds.”

Name: Lainey O’Neil

College: University of Richmond

Sport: Tennis 

Location: Richmond, Virginia 

Mascot: Spiders

“I’ve been playing sports pretty much my whole life, so it’s definitely something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Why Richmond?: 

“I chose Richmond because it has the perfect balance between strong academics, strong athletics, and a fun social scene- all of which were super important to me. I also fell in love with the campus, and the location is perfect!” 

What are you most excited about?: 

“I’m most excited to meet new people, play collegiate tennis, and to just start a new chapter of my life as a Spider!”

Name: Caroline Keil

College: University of Denver

Sport: Lacrosse

Location: Denver Colorado 

Mascot: Pioneer

“Yes, I have always been super competitive, so I knew I wanted to play at a high level in the future.”

Why Denver?: 

“I chose Denver because I loved the location and the size was perfect for me. I also wanted to play at a high level and DU has been a top-10 team for a while so it had all the things I wanted. I also really liked the coaches as well as the girls on the team.” 

What are you most excited about?:  

“I am most excited to be living in Colorado and to ve able to explore more.”

Name: Asa Thomas

College: Clemson University

Sport: Basketball

Location: Clemson, South Carolina

Mascot: Tigers

Did you always want to play a sport in college?: Ever since a young age, I’ve been watching college basketball and I have always thought it would be a cool experience to be able to play at that level so I have always wanted to play basketball in college.

Why Clemson?: When I first visited Clemson, I knew it was a spot where I wanted to be. It felt like home right away, both with the coaching staff and players. It was a great fit for me on and off the court.

What are you most excited about?: I am most excited about the different environments and venues that I’ll get to play in during my time there. The memories that I am going to be able to make both with the guys on the team and with other students will last a lifetime.

Name: Sam Larson

College: Denison

Sport: Baseball

Location: Granville, Ohio

Mascot: Big Red

Did you always want to play a sport in college?: “Ever since I was young, I always wanted to play a sport in college. I never knew it would be a reality until high school. No one in my family played a sport in college, but they were all very supportive of my desire to.”

Why Denison?: “I picked Denison after visiting the beautiful campus and touring all the facilities., It felt like a school I could picture myself playing at in the future. It also helped having old high school teammates that are also on the team.”

What are you most excited about?: “I am really excited to travel with the team to new places and continue to play baseball for the next four years.”