Facts and Feelings: Idaho Murders

Mariella Haubner and Mia DiValerio

Earlier this month, Idaho State Police arrested Bryan Kohberge, a criminology graduate student, in connection with the murders of four University of Idaho students. 

While many of us are preparing to head to college in a few short months, things like this hitting the news can be terrifying. While we may not be able to avoid a calculated killer, educating ourselves about how and what happened can help ease our minds a bit.

Many watched the news closely for weeks hoping that the police wouldn’t let this case go cold. It was horrifying  to see that something like this could happen to anyone. 

The 4th Amendment 

“From what I know, the FBI and Idaho police did a great job keeping this under wraps. They had to because my first thought when everyone was super angry was if they went in without probable cause, he would’ve walked free because that’s a constitutional violation,”  Law Honors teacher Ms. Jessica Cole said. 

The CNN Twitter posting about suspect. (CNN Twitter)

If Kohberger was arrested without the warrant, there would have been a chance that he could have walked away a free man. Our 4th Amendment protects us from illegal search and seizures.  This means police cannot search a person or their property without a warrant or probable cause. It also applies to arrests and the collection of evidence. 

At 4 a.m. on Nov. 13,  four University of Idaho students: Ethan Chapin, 20; Madison Mogen, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Kaylee Goncalves, 21 were stabbed to death in the girls’ apartment. We had so many questions but the biggest question was, why did the killer leave two girls alive? 

The Surviving Roommates

“They did 300 interviews and two of them were with the roommates. Whatever else the roommate said about what the other roommates were doing that night or whatever else, that’s not going to be put in because that is not going to help them get a warrant,” Cole said. 

While scrolling through Social Media, one of the roommates who survived and got a look at the killer was being dragged for not doing “more”.

She’s only a 20 year old girl, faced with a lifetime of trauma now. If people would have more empathy for what this girl is going through, instead of trying to pin blame on her, the trauma caused would be less detrimental. 

A normal trauma response is to freeze. Some people fight, some flight, and some freeze. Society can’t continue to shame a young girl for not doing what you believe you would do. 

While we all want more answers as to what went down and what the killer was thinking, until the trial there will likely be no further information, which could occur anytime within the next year, or even longer. 

Trial Logistics 

Both the defense and the prosecution are in the discovery phase of trial, where both sides gather as much evidence, witnesses, and other things they may need to prove their case. This can take months.

“You don’t set a trial date until both sides believe they have adequate discovery. Since they have had a lot of trouble getting evidence, they don’t have a murder weapon or a motive yet, I would be surprised if the trial happens this year,” Cole said. 

Knowing and understanding the law and steps of a trial can aid all of us while the country follows this case. America’s true crime obsession has grown.  Whether it’s your favorite Netflix show, the podcasts you listen to while walking your dog, or simply watching the nightly news, crime is all around. 

College can be nerve wracking. You have a new sense of freedom and are forced to grow up fast. When you hear that young kids were brutally murdered, it causes panic and fear in all of us.

Safety Recommendations

A few things I recommend all kids going into college: 

1. Share your location with your friends or family you trust. In case of emergency, those you trust can be there to help. 

2. Buy pepper spray. No matter what your gender is, you should always be prepared to protect yourself.

3. If you plan to live off campus at any time in your college career,  check with your landlord if you can install security cameras. Not only can it help protect those you live with, but also your neighbors and the community around you. 

4. Always lock your doors, even if you think you’re in a safe area. 

5. College campuses are a very safe place and those who work there care about their students’ well-being. If you ever feel unsafe or that something is off, don’t be afraid to contact the police or someone of a higher authority.

6. From the wise words of Ms. Cole “never leave anywhere alone at night, never be too intoxicated when you get home, if you are intoxicated and you are at someone’s house you know well- stay the night, you cannot stay vigilant if you are being irresponsible. Not only in college, but after if you decide to live in a city.”