Stories with Sydney: Civil War buff publishes a book

Courtesy of Sydney Kirages

Kirages wrote a children’s book based on her historical adventures with her grandfather.

Bianca Storino, Staff Writer

Junior Sydney Kirages says her love of history stems from a Spring Break trip in 2012. She had just turned seven. Her dad had to work, so her grandparents offered to take her, her two brothers, and her mom to Tennessee to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War Battle of Shiloh. 

Her grandfather, Pop-Pop, loves history, so the family was excited to share the adventure with him. Kirages remembers stopping in Memphis for barbeque, eating at the Waffle House, and actively participating in history for the first time.

That trip sparked Kirages’s love for history. She is now a member of  the American Battlefield Trust Youth Leadership Team,  a rotating group of 10 teenagers who help the organization work to preserve battlefields from the Civil War, Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812 by acquiring battlefield land and transitioning that land into the hands of the National Park System, or other Federal or State organization that will maintain the land in its natural, historic, state. 

I really want to write stories that inspire young girls that they can do anything.

— Sydney Kirages

She has represented Illinois and lobbied Congress for the release of funds to support the preservation of battlefields. 

Her work with the committee sparked a second passion: writing. Every youth leadership team member needs to complete a capstone project, which must bring history to the participants’ community. 

Most students completed podcasts or a YouTube series. Kirages said she was determined to inspire young girls to do great things. She was scrolling through the American Battlefield Trust website, when it came to her. 

“There was a page discussing women in the Civil War, but they weren’t on the sidelines helping wounded soldiers- they were actually in the war itself. This was the kind of story you don’t hear in history class but is just as important as the stories you hear,” Kirages said. 

Her book, Stories With Pop Pop Women In Disguise – The Civil War,  follows a girl named Jenny as she is told stories about women fighting in the Civil War by her grandfather. The same way Kirages’ grandfather told her stories about the Civil War. 

Kirages’ success has come as no surprise to her AP US History teacher, Mrs. Cindy Collier.

Kirages in 2012 at Shiloh National Military Park (Sydney Kirages)

“Sydney is a student who sees history all around her.  History isn’t just a textbook subject for her; it’s alive, and it affects the communities around us.  When you can see history’s impacts around you in this way, you can see the connections between past and present,” Collier said.

Her passion for history has impressed friends, too.

“Sydney’s history passion is unique and it really adds to her bubbly, fun persona. She is one of the most hardworking people I know,” junior Ana Dollard said.

She was only 15 when she started her project. She sought the assistance of her previous teachers as they read and gave her feedback on the book. 

“It was hard at first but I had to know when to take their feedback and when not to,” Kirages said. 

Kirages also worked with an illustrator on the book, and she said it was weird to tell an adult what to do. She wasn’t used to being in charge of such a big project where adults were working under her. 

“Grandma’s shoes were redone four times before making the final cut. I just didn’t like how they looked,” Kirages said. 

Her capstone project sparked a new passion. Kirages already has countless children’s book ideas, and now she just has to pick which story to start next. She wants her next story to follow the feminist themes that her first story did. 

“I really want to write stories that inspire young girls that they can do anything,” Kirages said.