Why you should go to Croya

Why you should go to Croya

Sascha Robb, Staff Writer

Although it may seem intimidating, you should attend at least one CROYA meeting during your high school experience. 

CROYA is about making new friends, branching out, having a good time, creating trusted friendships, volunteering, and so much more.

CROYA was established in 1980 in response to serious problems affecting teens in our community during the mid to late ‘70s. Through the years, it has flourished into a  dominant community service arm of the Forest-Bluff area.

Every Wednesday night there is a meeting for high school students from 7 pm – 8 pm. It’s a fun break in the week to hang out with friends and participate in activities like trivia, dodgeball, or even inflatable jousting.   

As soon as I walk through the doors, I leave the stress of school behind for an hour of fun with people I may have never had the chance of meeting.

When I was a freshman, I went to my first CROYA meeting and was quite literally terrified. I was surrounded by intimidating upperclassmen and peers who had been to CROYA for what seemed to be at least a million times. 

And then there was me: a quiet freshman attending my first high school meeting. When it was time to introduce myself, I was nervous and definitely over-thought my answer to the icebreaker question “crinkle or fold?”

Looking back, attending that first CROYA meeting was the best decision I made for myself in the past four years. 

Now, CROYA is a huge part of my life and is a constant outlet for support and the place where I feel most comfortable.

The main influence I credit my personal growth to is CROYA. Through retreats, volunteering and the Wednesday night meetings, I have learned so much about myself and others.

I encourage everyone to at least come to one CROYA meeting during their highschool years. It may not be for everyone, but trying something new is beneficial because you might just find your people and your second home.

Everyone is a part of something in the highschool, whether it be a team, club, theater or any other extracurriculars, high school is the time to branch out, make new connections and truly just have fun.

Unlike a sport, there are absolutely zero qualifications to come to a CROYA meeting. Although it may seem scary trying something new, everyone is welcome with open arms.

Just remember, everyone has been to their first CROYA meeting at one point.