Scout Hockey is Poised for SHL Success

Scout Hockey is Poised for SHL Success

Mateo Morrone, Staff Writer

In any sport, the number one goal is to be able to compete and push the team to reach its highest potential. With the Scouts hockey team’s recent switch to the Scholastic Hockey League, the premier hockey league in Illinois, competition has clearly become a number one priority for the Scouts as they prepare for their most difficult season yet. 

This jump to a new league was an opportunity given to the scouts due to their successful performance in recent years. 

“The SHL had reached out to us to gauge our interest in becoming part of the SHL since they had recognized the increased strength of the team over the past four seasons,” Head Coach Steve Sarauer said. 

With that, Sarauer, along with permission from the board of directors, accepted the invitation to join the most competitive league in the state. 

“The team is excited. They want to prove themselves, they want everyone to know we can be a competitor with the top in the state,” Sarauer said.

Of course, to prepare for this level of play comes a lot of hard work, which is why Sarauer has added “more practices” and “off ice training” to their routine. 

This rigid regiment of training has really mentally and physically prepared the scouts hockey team to take things to the next level. 

“Now it is time to get to work and grind every practice, every game,” senior Captain and All-state defenseman Robert Medica said. 

In the Scholastic Hockey league not a single game will be a given win. The Scouts are now ready to take what they learned in the North Central Division and use that to try and be one of the best in the state.

“Our problem last year was playing down to teams,” Medica said. “But this year we have no days off, every game will be a war and we will have to play up to the best of our ability to be able to compete with the teams that we play.” 

With teams such as New Trier Green and defending state champions Stevenson High School participating in the SHL League, the Scouts have strong competition for the upcoming season. 

“Honestly, at first I was nervous because I was unsure about the team’s ability to handle pressure,” junior goaltender and Captain Teddy Huddlestun said. “But I knew I was ready and that this team is capable of playing at the next level, we just have to work for it.” 

With that being said, the Varsity Scouts hockey team is all on the same page and determined to do what it takes in order to produce the best possible season.

“I think that this is a really great group of guys and every person is honored to be in the SHL and won’t take this opportunity for granted in any way,” senior defenseman Aidan Hunt said.

With the team prepped and ready to make a splash in the SHL, their team spirit and level of commitment to the team needs to be at an all time high.

“I can already tell that the new leadership is something that everyone can look up too,” Medica said. “Everyone knows what they have to do in order to compete in the SHL and put Lake Forest on the map.”