LFHS GIVE-ing back to the community

LFHS GIVE-ing back to the community

Emma Stadolnik, Staff Writer

LFHS GIVE is a volunteer-based club new to Lake Forest this year. The club works with the global organization GIVE, Growth International Volunteer Excursions, an organization aiming to create long-term sustainability around the globe while embracing other cultures. Volunteers have the opportunity to travel around the world while giving back to less fortunate communities, as well as learning about local cultures through one-on-one interactions. 

GIVE is mainly geared towards individual volunteers and some college groups; LFHS GIVE is the first high school establishment for the already thriving organization, presenting some unique opportunities. LFHS hopes to set the standard and inspire other high schools to create GIVE organizations. 

After a successful “pilot year” last year, a period of time where a club must prove themselves worthy of becoming functional, GIVE was recognized as an official club for the 2022-2023 school year. 

“I started the GIVE club at LFHS after our sponsor, Leah Pranke, went on a GIVE mission trip herself. On this trip you work one on one with these amazing kids who are not as fortunate as we are and you learn all about their culture,” Co-founder of LFHS GIVE and alum Claire Yehle said. “GIVE’s mission is to provide the basic necessities for impoverished families in other countries and I was so excited at the thought of being involved.” 

A common value that many members of the club share is giving back and bettering the world around them. Junior Vice President Lily Smith describes the club as “a group of high school students that come together to do volunteer projects in order to make the world a better place.”

Although a new club, LFHS GIVE has already begun to give back to the local community. This summer, members of GIVE were able to volunteer at Elawa Farms in Lake Forest. Volunteers had a chance to work in the garden and learned about sustainable farming methods. 

One of the goals for the club this year, especially as the first high school branch of the organization, is to stretch their outreach. LFHS GIVE has already helped the local communities of Lake Forest and Lake Bluff, but wants to spread their efforts worldwide, as far as countries such as Nicaragua and Laos.

Teacher-sponsor Ms. Leah Pranke, was inspired by the sense of togetherness the organization creates. 

“The practices that the GIVE organization does in communities really inspired me to bring it back to the people in this community,” said Pranke.

The biggest goal is for the group to go on a service trip of their own this summer. On these trips, volunteers implement sustainable practices into local communities, aiming to empower local citizens. Starting nationally in either the Pacific Northwest or Hawaii, the club has a lot of hard work and fundraising ahead of them to make this dream a reality.  

As GIVE starts to expand their network, many members express the need for continued support and participation. Junior Vice President Lauren Eglite recommends the club to anyone at the High School.

“To the people that are thinking about joining the GIVE club, I would definitely give it a try, it’s so rewarding to feel like you’re making a real difference, and the community we have created here at the high school is so strong and supportive,” Eglite said.