Blended Learning Launches in LFHS Classrooms in 2022-23

Taylor Ross, Staff Writer

In the 22-23 school year, some classrooms have been incorporating blended learning into their classrooms to launch this new program. But what is blended learning and how will it affect a student’s school day?

“Teachers could take one-on-one time with students, or students might be in cooperative learning groups, or working independently. Those are some of the core elements of what blended learning looks like,” Assistant Principal Dr. Alan Wahlert said. 

“Students are able to access the content and skills at their own pace and possibly on their own timeframe.” 

Here is what blended learning looks like: A teacher will tell their students that either a Tuesday or Friday will be a blended learning day. On that day, students are given the option to go to the cafeteria, library, or commons. Students are given a task to complete on their own or with others and can use their time as they see fit. The teacher remains in the classroom for students that need extra help, to catch up on work, or decide to stay behind. The teacher is always available to check in with during the period.

Dr. Wahlert pitched the idea of blended learning to the different departments after considering some of the possible benefits that the pandemic may have brought out. 

“Teachers might have said for thirty minutes in class, ‘Okay, you guys can turn off your cameras and microphones and go on and do this EdPuzzle, or this Peardeck.’ Those were positives that came out of the pandemic because teachers and students didn’t need to be in the same proximity to be able to have learning take place.”

Some teachers chose to opt into the program and incorporate blended learning into their classrooms. One such teacher was Mrs. Sorensen, in tandem with Mrs. Grzesik, in her Chemistry classes. Mrs. Sorensen illustrated what she enjoyed about the program.

“We liked the idea of letting kids have freedom, of picking what they wanted to do and having that academic freedom. And with kids that are struggling, we would be able to reach them and say ‘Okay, today you’re going to stay behind with us and we’re going to help you get caught up on things’“

Mrs. Sorensen also explained what her students thought of this program.

“They enjoy it. They like to work with their friends which lets them be happier in class, and they look forward to blended learning days, and they’re working harder to earn that privilege to go out.” 

This opinion is not only held by the teachers. Students who have been able to participate in blended learning express the freedom they can enjoy in their class. Junior Maya Taha, wants blended learning to continue, “one hundred percent.” She believes that blended learning is a positive to her school day.

“I think it’s very beneficial to get a change of environment when you are doing your work,” she said. “I like doing my work somewhere that isn’t in the classroom.”

There are risks that come with giving students freedom throughout the day. Students may blow off their work to go with friends or not do their work at all. However, as Dr. Wahlert illustrates, one aspect of giving students learning responsibility is having them deal with their own time management. Some teachers have implemented a ‘must do, can do’ system, where students are given assignments that need to be completed by the end of class, and others that may be due the next week. Giving students the option to decide how they want to manage their skills teaches them important executive function skills for the future. Learning spaces are always supervised and students are reminded to stay on task and not disrupt other people.

“Whether you’re a student, a teacher, or a parent, I ask that we remain open minded in thinking about different ways that students can learn and alternate ways to increase student engagement,” Dr. Wahlert said. He reinforces the importance of student responsibility and agency through the new blended learning program and hopes that this will be an effective learning strategy in the future.