Flexibility in final exams is the right decision

Maeve Bradley, Staff Writer

The last days of elementary and middle school consisted of events like field day or a themed school countdown leading to the farewell signatures we would write in our classmate’s yearbooks as we cheered to the last bell ring. Nostalgia, to say the least. 

In high school, finals week outdoes this. What better way to celebrate the end of a great year than silently turning in a test or receiving awkward claps from your classmates after you finish a presentation?

It’s the final push before students can rejoice from their freedom of schoolwork and relax from tight schedules.

Thankfully, however, Lake Forest High School has lessened restrictions on the intensity of these exams. In an email sent to teachers, finals were addressed as “no longer required.” 

That being said, teachers still have the option of whether they will provide an exam for students during this time. With that, they have the ability to choose their preferred format with their course-alike teams, and there is great flexibility in the subject matter. 

LFHS encourages teachers to consider minimizing the intensity. This means options like a creative or summative assessment, portfolio, reflection activity, or presentation could replace a test. 

Final exams are determined by what the teacher(s) think is the best fitting for their students. 

This is exactly how schools should be going about intimidating exams. Especially before summer break, it’s easy for students to come across distractions. The end of the year signifies  events ranging from AP exams to prom. 

Plus, let’s not forget about the great midwest weather change. As soon as the weather beats 60 degrees, who want to spend the day studying inside?

A week of straight testing put’s many at a disadvantage and can ultimately affect a grade they worked hard for during that semester. 

I’m not implying that final exams don’t serve a purpose, as they can work to boost students’ grades. Oftentimes, these assessments are the last chance to prove mastery or better an overall grade. However, if a class has already demonstrated strong capability in a subject, the end of the year should be more of a celebration of students’ hard work and success.