Your Backpack Could Be Hurting You

Off-the-shoulder bags are impractical

Kayla Wisneski, Editor

If there is one thing that every high schooler has, it’s a backpack. Many also opt for other forms of carrying their things, such as messenger or off-the-shoulder bags. Some bags are used to make a fashion statement, while others are purely for function. But could it be possible that one of these options is better than the other? Or that one may be doing more harm than good?

It’s no secret that students’ bags are not light. They can often be seen lugging around what seems like 100-pound bags filled to the brim. Because of this weight, it is extremely important that students find the best way to carry their books. 

“My bag gets so heavy! I get so many papers in my classes, and they stay in my backpack forever, even if I don’t need them anymore,” senior Ella Vander Velde said. 

In recent years, the trend of using a tote or messenger bag at school has become increasingly popular. They are usually fun colors and patterns, and come in all sizes. The increased use of these bags has made them the most popular alternative to backpacks. 

“I prefer to have an off-the-shoulder bag. It’s easily accessible, and I love having all of the different pockets,” junior Josphine van Esbroeck said. “I don’t want to be digging around to find something. I don’t have any trouble keeping my bag organized.” 

But while they may look nice, off-the-shoulder bags may be doing more harm than good. 

According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, as many as 75-85 percent of Americans will experience back pain at some point in their lives. Backpacks often equal 20% to 40% of a student’s body weight. When you think of back pain, the first people that come to mind are usually older. However, the age group with back problems is becoming increasingly younger at a rapid rate. 

“My backpack is ridiculously heavy, I can’t even put my Chromebook in it. It’s just something you have to get used to and deal with, I guess. Carrying it sometimes leaves my back in a lot of pain,” senior Madeleine Kapsalis said.

Carrying this much weight on one shoulder can be extremely detrimental to students’ health. And while you may think that you won’t be affected because you switch which shoulder your bag is on, that isn’t true. 

Heavy bags can actually change the shape of the spine. Carrying your bag on one shoulder, either shoulder, for a prolonged period of time can cause a shift in your spine, and develop extreme strain in your back. Some other notable problems that could develop as a result of these bags are disc compression, lumbar asymmetry, or lower back curvature. 

“Carrying a heavy load over one shoulder can cause your spine to curve as you compensate for the weight, which can lead to pain down the road,” LFHS nurse Mrs. Kudla said. “As we all have a tendency to use our dominant side, try alternating shoulders throughout the day. A backpack can distribute the weight more evenly, but if it is too heavy, you will slouch forward.”

So what is the right way to carry your books? 

The first tip is to use a backpack with two straps. This will allow for even weight distribution, and will make it easier to carry the weight. Using a backpack also allows more space, although that doesn’t necessarily mean you should use it. Only bringing what you need means less weight, and also makes it easier to find things. Within your bag, putting heavier items closer to the body reduces the strain on your back. 

You should also consider the construction of your bag. Your straps should be padded, and tightened or loosened to fit you. If your backpack is hanging too low or too far away from your body, it can also cause strain. 

While it may seem like a lot, these tips could make a big difference in keeping you healthy. 

“Whichever pack you decide to carry, lighten the load as much as possible and stretch your muscles at the end of the day,” Kudla said.