College Corner: Week Six

Colin Martens and Sydney Pitera

Each week, College Corner reviews five seniors on where they have decided to attend next year, what they are most excited about, and what they love about it. 

Name: Tyler Schacter

College: University of Mississippi

Major: Sports Management 

Location: Oxford, Mississippi

Mascot: Rebels

Why Ole Miss?

“I’d say I picked it because ever since I was younger, I always wanted to go to the south for college but never really knew where in the south. When my counselor mentioned Ole Miss as a suggestion, it kind of blew over my head at first until I looked further into it and then I actually started to become interested in it. When I found out about their Sports Management program and visited the campus, I knew I would end up there. Oxford has the southern charm, small town, feel as well as the insane SEC football vibe too! And at that point, I was sold.”

What are you most excited about? 

“Definitely the football games especially because I will be working on the football staff as a student manager. There’s nothing like SEC football, and to experience it first hand, and to get to know the players and coaches is going to be a ton of fun and I’m super pumped.”

Name: Katie Hart

College: Indiana University 

Major: Undecided 

Location: Bloomington, Indiana 

Mascot: Hoosier

Why Indiana?

“My mom went there so I always grew up wanting to go there. I also am not sure what I want to study and I love that Indiana has so many different opportunities for majors.”

What are you most excited about? 

“I’m most excited about meeting new people!” 

Name: Nick Moore

College: Virginia Tech 

Major: Business 

Location: Blacksburg, Virginia 

Mascot: Hokiebird

Why Virginia Tech?

“I have family that lives in Blacksburg and I like the idea of meeting a ton of new people from a completely different area.”

What are you most excited about? 

“I am most excited for the football games because Virginia Tech has one of the best student sections in the country.”

Name:  Sophie Huddlestun

College: Colgate University 

Major: Psychological Sciences and Classical Studies 

Location: Hamilton, New York 

Mascot: Raider 

Why Colgate? 

“I always knew I wanted to go to school in New England because of the proximity to so many cool cities as well as accessible parts of nature. I toured 10 campuses in the Northeast last summer, but for some reason Colgate was the most charming. I visited again in the fall and the school continued to amaze me on all levels. 

What are you most excited about?

“I’m most excited to explore new things, whether that be skiing in Vermont on the weekends, trying all the pizza in NYC, joining a sorority, taking captivating courses, or even simply living somewhere new. I know I have a lot of cool opportunities coming my way!” 

Name: Vanessa Morales

College: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Location: Ithaca, New York

Mascot: Big Red Bear

Why Cornell? 

“I first gravitated towards Cornell because they have fantastic academic programs for engineering. Their philosophy around learning and diversity really resonated with me and I felt that it was a really good fit. They have a great college town area and I absolutely loved the campus when I visited.  I thought that Cornell would be an amazing place for me to both work hard and have fun, which is why I chose it!”

What are you most excited about? 

“I’m most excited to make new friends and meet people from different places! I’m also looking forward to being independent and being able to explore the Cornell campus and Ithaca. I’ve heard that the dining halls are supposed to be great so I’m definitely excited for that. I’m hoping to take advantage of all that the school has to offer both socially and academically.”