10 Questions with Janel Sharman

Lindsey Kozel, Staff Writer

Junior Janel Sharman is a fifth-semester New Media student. She joined as a freshman and now is willing to spend up to 24 hours of the weekend working on New Media projects. In addition to performing at a high academic level, Sharman dedicates her time to her passions outside of the classroom. Taking an active role in New Media, Tech Crew for the musical, theater, and the Talent Show for the past two years, Sharman has clearly expressed her commitment to the stage and the screen. 

Here are 10 questions to get to know her:

What is your favorite subject?

“Math, because I love the feeling of successfully doing a problem”

How do you manage all your classes and other activities?

“I would love for someone to tell me how to do that, but at some point I just make myself go to bed even if I still have homework. Sometimes sleep is the key.”

What is your favorite part about being involved in theater?

“My favorite part is the friendships I’ve made and the community because when we spend so much time together, you really get to know someone really well. You spend more time with them than you do with your family so you really get to know them.”

What has been your favorite show you were involved in?

“My favorite show is definitely this year’s Talent Show. It is so fun to perform with a ton of different people from around the school; Talent Show really becomes a big family. It is gratifying to successfully perform on stage with my friends for the whole community to see.”

If you could start up one activity what would it be?

“I’ve kind of always wanted to be on the girl’s hockey team; it’s very cool. I also want to take a ceramics class and become a better artist.”

What is your favorite high school memory?

“Working on a New Media project in the fall of 2020. I got to spend time with people I learned a lot from. We ended up winning this international film festival, and it was a great opportunity to be a part of it all and to get the reward after all that hard work.”

Describe yourself in three words:

“Determined, optimistic, focused”

Who do you look up to?

One of my biggest role models has been Ruby Stockton. She’s the sweetest person ever, and I want to be more like her because she’s just an amazing human.”

What is your favorite way to spend a day off?

Sleeping in, going for a walk with my dogs, watching a good movie, or baking something. I love to make food when I have free time.”

What advice would you give Freshmen?

“Join every club and every activity you can so you can find out what you like.”