Scout Legends – Rob Pelinka

’88 grad now leads the Los Angeles Lakers

Scout Legends - Rob Pelinka

Jack Marshall, Staff Writer

Over the years, Lake Forest High School has been home to tons of amazing personalities, scholars, and athletes. From 1984 – 1988, it was home to a kid named Rob Pelinka.  Future NBA champion, Final Four participant, and friend of Kobe Bryant, Rob Pelinka’s love for the game has humble roots: wearing blue and gold in the comp gym and hitting a mean 3 point shot while sporting the number 3. 

Pelinka was born in Lake Bluff, Illinois. As a young kid, Rob basically lived at LFHS. His dad, Rob Pelinka Sr., was a teacher in the school as well as a coach for multiple sports. He recalls coming to the comp gym weekly in the winter to support the Scouts, aspiring to one day play in blue and gold.

“Lake Forest High School was the center of our family growing up,” Pelinka said. 

His love for basketball began during the crosstown rivalry between Lake Bluff and Lake Forest. While growing up, he said his parents raised him to focus on the “pillars of faith, academics, family, and sports.” If he saw excellence in all those things, he would set himself up for a bright future. Pelinka watched the Scouts often growing up and told himself in grade school that he would seek “excellence” in basketball.  

His favorite basketball memory was when he had 46 points against St. Rita in a Christmas tournament game. A tough score to forget.  “It was an awesome moment in defining success for our team and having fun,” Pelinka said. Moments like these last with him to this day. 

After averaging over 29 points per game at LFHS, Rob was chosen to be an All-American and was sought after by many top D1 schools. Pelinka made the decision to join the top ranked Michigan Wolverines in 1988. 

Three of his four years at Michigan, Pelinka helped the “Fab 5” make it to the Final Four. He was the sixth man of their roster, coming in to hit crucial threes time after time. After graduating law school, Pelinka joined a sports agency in Los Angeles that represented players like Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, and many other top NBA Stars. Becoming a top agent in this field was a perfect combination of his Michigan Law degree and his love of the game. 

While Pelinka was beginning his career in sports law, an up and coming player named Kobe Bryant was beginning his career in the NBA. Soon after they met, Kobe chose rookie agent Pelinka to represent him. Over the years, Kobe Bryant became Pelinka’s best friend and godparent to Kobe’s daughter Gia. Over the decades, they remained partners in Kobe’s amazing career in Los Angeles.

“He dedicated himself to the game, but he dedicated himself to being a dad, husband and a friend in the same way,” Pelinka said. “He poured his heart and soul into nearly everything.” 

Pelinka learned a lot from Kobe and implemented many of his ideals into his own life.  In 2017, Pelinka was hired to be the General Manager of the NBA’s most storied team, the Los Angeles Lakers. Being a General Manager is a lot more than just making trades and controlling the rosters. There is a diversity of skill sets that get called upon. 

“Making sure everybody has the same vision,” Pelinka said, “is one of the most important parts of managing.” Other things like travel, medical injuries, becoming an expert on cap space, CBAs and legal agreements are the things that high school fantasy basketball managers don’t have to deal with.

In 2018, Pelinka and the Lakers acquired one of basketball’s all time greats, Lebron James. The Lakers were automatically put on league notice, but not quite contenders. One offseason later, they went out and traded for another star in Anthony Davis. 

“Trades are way more nuanced than anyone would think; you have coaches, owners, agents, and families all getting involved with mixed personalities,” Pelinka said. If all it took was one phone call between GM’s, we would be seeing players flying around the league daily. In 2020, it all came together for the Lakers as they won the NBA championship. 

“It became incredibly gratifying to see the players, who had given up so much, be able to experience the height of professional sport success.”

Lately, Pelinka and the Lakers have been amongst many of the NBA’s trade talks, as they are struggling to stay in the playoff picture. If they want to make another run at a title, it is going to take some more magic. The pressure is on for Pelinka as Lebron James is only getting older and the league is getting tougher.

Throughout his amazing career and his incredible experiences, he recognizes his roots at home and at LFHS made it possible. 

“There are not many places like LFHS. It is easy to take it for granted as a 16 year old, but as I look back now, I am incredibly grateful for its community,” Pelinka said. “If you focus on your pillars of excellence, doors will open up that you could never imagine.”