Boys Basketball Set to Begin Playoffs

%40lfboyshoops

@lfboyshoops

Edward Torosian and Will DeCoster

After taking the Conference title last Wednesday at Waukegan, the boys basketball team now has its sights set on the Regional Semifinal, facing off against Ridgewood tonight at Antioch High School.

Four Scouts were selected to the First Team All Conference lineup last week: sophomore Tommie Aberle, senior Sam Gibson, senior Alex Forowycz, and junior Asa Thomas. 

Senior Connor Duncan was honored with the North Suburban Conference Sportsmanship award, and Thomas was named NSC Player of the Year.

Now with a clean slate in the playoffs, the Scouts draw a matchup against Ridgewood in the first round. According to Gibson, the game will come down to effort and hustle.

“[We need to] close out hard on the shooters and push the ball in transition,” Gibson said. 

According to sophomore Tommie Aberle, Ridgewood’s strength lies in their shooting ability.

“They have some good shooters,” Aberle said. “Solid shooters and they’re really young and they share the ball really well.”

Head coach Phil LaScala and senior Louis Novelli voiced their appreciation for the continued support from the student body, emphasizing its importance for the players.

“It will be great to have [their] support,” LaScala said. “They have been great all year and we would love to have them out.”

“It makes the players play harder and it’s a huge advantage,” Novelli said. “Any game can be your last game so you have to leave it all on the floor.”