Covering Up

LFHS is right to avoid toxic dress codes

Covering+Up

Vivi Hirschfield, Staff Writer

While most schools across the country enforce strict dress codes, LFHS is right in allowing students to dress as they please. Lack of dress codes promote self expression, identity, and the importance of students themselves. In short, dress codes are toxic.

Walking the halls in LFHS is always a great  way to see everyone’s personal style without being bound by the rules of a dress code.  I have always loved the freedom to choose my outfit in the morning. Whether it’s a sweatshirt or a skirt kind of day, I enjoy being able to open my closet and pull anything out and wear it without wondering if it will get me in trouble.

“It’s really important for people who are into fashion to wear things that make them comfortable and to be able to express who they are. Being limited in any way makes it hard, because I love getting to know people through what they wear,” TFS  fashion editor Gigi Snellback said.

But it’s deeper than just that. Being constantly told to cover up, show less, “don’t distract” sends the wrong message. Senior Layla Ward came from a school with a very strict dress code, and had many experiences with this.

“They gave us so many rules,” Ward said. “We weren’t even allowed to have piercings, and now I have so many. It was stifling, and I couldn’t express myself.” 

My question is, what is the gain? What does a school gain from telling students they’re not even allowed to pierce their ears?

I can say with certainty the gain is definitely not a better education. To call out a student in class or send them home to change deprives them of their right to be comfortable in school, especially female students. After taking a quick glance at the dress code rules of a few schools in the country, many of them were directed at girls. Things like “no visible midriffs, no low cut tops, no spaghetti straps,” once with “these rules apply to male students as well” tacked on, without even trying to hide the fact that female students are the targets and are objectified by these laws on a daily basis

I know clothing, especially on girls, will always be a topic of argument. Although many  girls I know will say there’s no debate at all. I’m glad my school doesn’t feel the need to control what I wear, but as far as freedom of students is concerned we have a long way to go.