The Freshman Guide: Three Clubs Not to Overlook

Emily Chabraja, Staff Writer

As a senior looking back on my high school experience, I wish that I had been more involved with extracurriculars. Not only does it look great on a college application, but they are also a great opportunity for meeting new people. As a freshman, I was reluctant to join clubs because I didn’t know what I was interested in. I was blind to the countless opportunities available. So if you want to join clubs but you are unsure where to start, here are three that offer unique opportunities.

Bass Fishing Team

Sophomore Ben Longeway with a 38 inch Muskie

Yes, there is a bass fishing team. If you love fishing and the outdoors, then this program is certainly for you. This club just started up and usually meets during Wednesday afternoons. The team also participates in spring tournaments and fundraisers. “I really believe that being outdoors leads to human wellness. Interacting with nature really helps you appreciate it and become a steward of it,” Mr. Harmsen, one of the advisors of the Bass fishing team, said. It’s not only a great way to enjoy some fresh air, but also to form friendships over fishing.

Women In Stem

A quick change of pace from fishing, Women in Stem is a great opportunity for empowering young women in the STEM workforce. This group usually meets on the first and third Wednesdays of every month. The members typically do stem-based experiments and labs that range from extracting the DNA of strawberries to building bridges out of Popsicle sticks.  Members also get the chance to talk to female guest speakers from all different fields of STEM. “It is a great way to learn about future job opportunities and get a taste of what the workforce would be like,” senior Rachel Pogany, a member of Women in STEM for the past three years, said. If you are interested in the field of STEM and want to meet like-minded girls, then this club is just right for you.

Scout Buddies

If there is any place to form lasting friendships, it’s Scout Buddies. Scout Buddies meets on the second and fourth Thursday every month right after school for 45 minutes. Some activities include circle time to share a little bit about yourself, fundraisers, fun field trips uptown, and attending school events such as the plays. This club is not only a great way to form friendships, but also a great opportunity to meet incredible people who have so much to offer.  “One thing that is really important for these students is to give them a voice,” Mrs. Metz, advisor of Scout buddies, said. “You forget your stress for 45 minutes and pretty much everybody gains something from Scout buddies.”