Boys Lacrosse Continues Their Strong Start to The Season Going 2-0 in Back to Back Games

Nick Winebrenner, Staff Writer

A spontaneous scheduling of one of their biggest rivals immediately following the football players’ return led to an exciting two days for the Boys Varsity Lacrosse team.

On Tuesday night, the Scouts were able to cruise past Lake Zurich for senior night, in a 10-4 win. The Scouts got off to a slow start aside from two first quarter goals from Henry Pickus, but the second half picked up with five more goals for the Scouts and one goal from the Bears.

The first half ended 7-1 and the undefeated Scouts were dominating the Bears on every area of the field. The third quarter saw missed shots and sloppy plays from the Scouts offense, but absolute lockdown from the Scouts defense, in a scoreless third quarter for both teams. 

The fourth quarter had a quick start from the Scouts as they went on a three-goal run ending with a 15-yard, underhand goal into the bottom left corner for the Scouts final goal of the night.

The last five minutes saw three goals from the Lake Zurich Bears, but it wasn’t enough to stop the Scouts on senior night. 

After the game, Coach Marc Thiergart informed the team that the Glenbrook North vs Maine South game had been cancelled, and GBN was looking for a team to play. Despite the soreness from the game, the Scouts erupted in cheers. The last time the Scouts had played GBN was two years ago during the 2019 state quarterfinals, ending in devastation as the defeated Scouts had their field swarmed by celebratory GBN fans. 

The next day, the Scouts traveled to Glenbrook North High School with tensions running high. The game got off to a slow start for the Scouts, as they ended the first quarter trailing 2-1. Entering the second quarter trying to keep their cool, thoughts of two years ago reminisced in their head. Despite this, Connor Armstrong and Patrick Lee put in three goals in the second quarter to put the Scouts up 4-2 going into halftime. In the huddle, the Scouts stayed focused and tried to keep their composure

To start the second half, Armstrong completed his 4th hat trick in five games with another goal, and on the next faceoff, Michael Cassidy won the ground ball swiftly, and quickly moved the ball to Armstrong where he netted yet another goal. 

The Scouts were officially buzzing, and loud SCO chants were ringing all throughout the stadium. But it wouldn’t be a GBN-LFHS game if it wasn’t close. The Spartans responded with three straight goals and the Scouts seemed to be down on their luck again. 

Entering the fourth quarter only up one, tensions were running high, but it quickly seemed to be the same old same old, as attackman Armstrong scored his sixth goal of the night early in the fourth quarter inciting the Scouts to celebrate passionately. The Scouts were now up 8-6 with half a quarter left. 

The fourth quarter was moving slowly, all until–yep, you guessed it–Armstrong netted his seventh goal of the night after boldly splitting a double team. The Scouts were up 9-6 with three minutes to go and S-C-O chants once again echoed throughout the away stadium. The fourth quarter dwindled down and the Spartans did not have an answer for the away team. 

Time ran out as the Scouts stormed the field, and rejoiced after finally beating a rival in their closest game of the season, en route to a 5-0 record in the first week of play.

“We felt alright after beating Lake Zurich, but we knew we could do better and the GBN game meant a lot to us because of what happened two years ago. The win felt like validation for all the progress we’ve made over the last few years.” said senior Connor Armstrong.