Junior Business Incubator Team ‘Safety Band’ Seeks to Expand Technology for Children

Sydney Pitera, Staff Writer

One of LFHS’s most popular Junior elective courses is Business Incubator. The Business Incubator class allows students to learn about becoming true entrepreneurs as they create and fully develop a product from scratch. The class has been working all year to start a functioning business for something they are passionate about. 

The Safety Band Tracking group is currently developing a unique bracelet for children. 

This group, consisting of juniors Alexa Cote, Brody Oesterlein, Errol Rohrbach, Sheridan Leahy, and Sophie Huddlestun, has teamed up to create a kid-friendly tracking device for parents to use on children.

The team was passionate about helping others. Their original idea was to develop a similar tracking bracelet but for college students. However, they realized most kids have a cell phone around the age of 12; when it comes to cell phones, tracking systems can be, or are already, installed.

“We realized that with the technology industry, children 8 years and younger are most vulnerable,” group member Alexa Cote said. “Children under the age of 8 are not being prioritized when it comes to technology.”  

The team has equipped the Safety Band with a tracking system that conveniently connects to a parent’s cell phone using an app and displays the child’s location. 

Not only does this product attract parents, but it also gives children the option to customize their own stylish bracelet. 

“The bracelet includes fun charms that kids can change in and out to keep their bracelet most appealing to their interests,” group member Sophie Huddlestun said. 

The product works to give children the chance to become independent while easily being tracked by parents. 

It also works to solve the issue of children owning a cellphone at a young age. The product was specifically designed to disguise the use of technology. 

“We want children to be immersed in the culture around them and not distracted by technology,” Huddlestun said. 

The team of five hopes that parents and caregivers recognize the value of this product for their own peace of mind, knowing that their kid is safe. 

For more information, you can visit their website or you can follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok @safetybandtracking.