The Artist Archives: Tess Meulbroek

A look into one of the most creative minds at Lake Forest High School

Haley Zarek, Staff Writer

Sophomore Tess Meulbroek

You may have seen her dancing to “Ave Maria” in last year’s talent show, beaming with emotion while gracefully moving with perfect technique. Her effortless performance made it abundantly clear that, unlike most, Sophomore Tess Meulbroek finds her happy place on stage. 

A trained dancer since the age of two, Meulbroek stands out as one of Lake Forest High School’s most talented and dedicated performers. 

Currently, she trains at The Academy of Dance Arts where she learns a multitude of styles, her favorites being contemporary and ballet. Although unsure of a specific path, she is confident in her continued pursuit of dance post-graduation.

“Even when my schedule gets overwhelming, there’s truly nothing that makes me happier than being at my studio dancing,” said Meulbroek. “Seeing all the hard work that finally pays off while performing is the most rewarding feeling, the stage is definitely my happy place!”

Although current pandemic conditions have proven to be a great obstacle for most dancers, Meulbroek makes the best out of her situation. On days she isn’t dancing in the studio or in a zoom class, you can find her practicing her craft at the Lake Bluff Park District.

“Despite the crazy events of this past year, I try to keep an optimistic outlook on my dance journey and continue to work hard to achieve my goals,” said Meulbroek. “I’m so excited to get back on the stage very soon and am hopeful with the way the dance season is slowly returning to normal.”

She is also hopeful for the commencement of her competition season and the prospect of performing and attending local dance conventions.

It is undeniable, Tess Meulbroek is made for the stage, and she has nothing but success ahead of her.