OFFBeat Apparel: Bringing Awareness One Design At a Time

Avery Ellis, Staff Writer

OFFBeat Apparel, a clothing company created by juniors Sophie Huddlestun and Caroline Mower works to establish ways to “bring awareness to the different, unique ways everyone copes with their lives: bullying, mental illness, grief, coming out stories, and everything in-between.” 

Their apparel consists of these stories through collaborations with artists on their own signs. By founding OFFBeat, Huddleston and Mower are taking massive steps in breaking the stigma in Lake Forest.

The apparel is relatable, positive, and real, shedding light on issues that are customarily kept in the dark, especially in Lake Forest. Not only does the brand advocate for the elimination of stigma, but their profits also go to support mental health charities, creating a company which helps people beyond surface-level.

OFFBeat’s newest design and collaboration with Croya, “it’ll all work out”

Recently, OFFBeat has partnered with another community organization, CROYA, in order to broadcast their message to a wider audience and take their store to the next level.

This collaboration (“it’ll all work out”) has brought great attention to the company, pulling in new customers and spreading the word regarding stigma elimination.

Sophie Huddleston, Co-Founder 

“Growing up in a white privileged town, I have discovered the significance of appreciating individuals of all demographics and cultures. I have not allowed the “bubble” of a community I have been raised in to filter out the raw truths of the world as a whole,” Huddleston said. “While I am immensely grateful for my privilege and I recognize all of the opportunities growing up in this manner has presented me with, I have always been eager to learn, share, connect, and support. OFFBeat Apparel is only the tip of the iceberg for me when it comes to my efforts to start conversations, encourage resilience, and offer suggestions surrounding mental illness. 

Through experiencing her own battles, Sophie uses OFFBeat to reach other people, by providing a light to others on their darkest days.

“As an individual who has seen the worst days of mental illness and come back from it, I live each day being fully content with the fact that my internal struggles will never fully go away. This has not stopped me from going on with my life and taking each day one step at a time.”

Caroline Mower, Co-Founder

“I’ve struggled with mental illness my entire life, and the environment I was raised in taught me how to suppress my feelings rather than expressing my true self. I grew up surrounded by boys playing hockey, and I wouldn’t have it any other way, but at school I was made fun of for acting like a boy,” Mower said” “This battle introduced me to my anxiety and depression for the very first time. For a long time, I’d try every trick in the book to skip school because of the intense panic it brought me, and at a young age I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb.”

By creating OFFBeat, Caroline hopes to create a community that emphasizes the idea that as hard as they may be, you are never alone in your battles.

“After all these years, I’ve continued to contain my emotions and tweak my personality in an effort to fit in more with the people around me. The more I tried to fit in the further I fell into the dark abyss that is my depression, anxiety and OCD. Summer of 2020, I decided I couldn’t do it anymore. So, I got together with Sophie and asked her to help me build an outlet to not only express myself, but to help others feel confident about not always fitting in. OFFBeat was built in the hopes of becoming a community, so that nobody ever feels alone again, because truly nobody is.”

Colin Martens, President

“The topic of mental health has always interested me. With most issues, I prefer looking at the positives. In many cases, this can be difficult, but generally, in life, everyone has an option on how they want to look at a situation. I prefer to live life finding the silver lining. Mental illness has been an issue forever, and at times it seems impossible to overcome,” Martens said.

Colin talks about his focus on the silver lining’s of life and their significance regarding the ability to overcome adversity. 

“I try to spread happiness and encourage others to seek help and find their best coping mechanism. In my free time, I play volleyball and baseball, teach Sunday school at my church, and hang out with friends! I am excited to work for OFFBeat in spreading the word and erasing the stigma.”

Sylvia’s design with a guitar made out of puzzle pieces.

Not only does OFFBeat create apparel to break down barriers, but they also collaborate with artists, students, and community members to make more meaningful apparel.

Some recent collaborations included a tee-shirt (“Piece me together”) designed by singer and songwriter, Sylvia Kollasch. 

“My goals of OFFBeat are to start a movement of people who are ready to seize the day. People who are ready to make mistakes and grow, people who are ready to let go of the past, yet not overthink the future,” Huddleston said. “People who live simply and are proud of the littlest accomplishments and satisfied from the most insignificant moments. I want to show people how crucial it is to be unique, to connect, to love who they are and never look back.”

“All of the time and effort I put into this company is not and will never be for even a dollar in my pocket, but rather the comfort of knowing that someone out there may find a light on their darkest of days. I know there are terrible things going on in the world, and I know there are terrible things that go on in peoples’ minds and hearts. However, there is also hope and I want to do whatever I can to help others find it.”

To hear more about OFFBeat Apparel and Its Goals, listen to their podcast episode here.