Celebrating the Seniors of Girls Basketball

Sophia DiVagno, Writer

As the Varsity Girls Basketball team begins its push to the playoffs, they’ll be propelled by the veteran experience of their four seniors. 

Those seniors, along with a trio from the junior varsity team, were celebrated recently at the team’s senior night for their hard work, talent, and commitment to the basketball program. Let’s meet these devoted seniors who stepped off their home court for the last time as Scouts.

Junior Varsity

Eleni Ballis

Everyone knows Ballis as the girl who never fails to make you laugh. But she has a serious side when it comes to being on the court. Her drive to become the best she can be is unparalleled, as she is always striving to improve every facet of her game. Not only does she make a difference on the court, but she also makes time with the team entertaining and worthwhile. As a captain, she leads the team with an abundance of confidence, advice, and supportiveness. “I have been on a team with her for two years now,” said teammate Sofia Zarazaga. “She is the funniest and most caring person ever. She always makes sure that everyone is okay.”

Vivian Popov

Popov’s height gives her an advantage over many players. You can often find her under the basket, one pass away from going up for an easy shot off the backboard. Vivian is the definition of someone who sets goals and works hard to reach them. Whether it’s working on her shooting form or finishing a product for her personal clothing brand, Vivian Ivvone, she is determined to be the best version of herself. “Vivian is always thinking of others,” said teammate Sophia Vanderwoert. “She shows commitment and a positive attitude at all times. She’s a great person and teammate.”

Honor Thomas

Known for her consistent shooting from beyond the arc, basketball comes naturally to Honor. With an older brother who passed through the Boys Varsity program, and a freshmen brother who starts on the team, there is no doubt that basketball is in her genes. Thomas’ passion for the sport is clear when she plays. With a colossal desire to win, the captain leads the team with her competitive attitude on the court and kind-hearted leadership off the hardwood.

Varsity

Halle Douglass

Who doesn’t know Halle Douglass? Continuing her basketball career at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Douglass isn’t done breaking records and impressing the student section just yet. The two-year captain — arguably the best player in program history — holds the school record in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. She received a litany of honors after her junior year, including being named to the all-conference, all-state, and all-academic teams as a junior. She is in line to receive even more accolades after this season. “Halle is an amazing person and teammate,” said freshman teammate Bella Ranallo. “She cares for others and always pushes everyone to be their best. She is so fun to be around and honestly, she is like an older sister to me.” 

Sydney Fitzgerald

Always in high spirits, Fitzgerald adds a great amount of fun in everything she participates in, most notably, her frequent sideline dancing. She is constantly hyping up the team and cheering in support. “Fitz is one of the funniest people ever and always has a positive attitude,” said junior teammate Molly Fisher. “She is someone who everyone wants to be around and I’m so glad I’ve been her teammate for the past two years.” Without her presence next year, an outspoken voice will be lost — as well as a lot of dancing.

Emory Homan

Homan was unable to play last season as she was recovering from a torn ACL. But that didn’t stop her from still playing an important role in the program, as she spent her junior year helping out as a team manager. Homan came back this season ready to get back into the game. Injuries still nagged at Homan this year, but she persevered, starting in the game on senior night. “Unfortunately, Emory’s comeback to her senior year had been cut short due to injury, but that has never affected her attitude and dedication to the team,” said coach Kyle Wilhelm. “She is a great addition to any team.”

Elise Stanley

Heading to John Hopkins with a spot on their soccer team’s roster, Stanley is a two-sport varsity athlete. Her speed from the soccer field seamlessly translates from the pitch to the court, as she moves around fluidly. Elise’s defense is hard for defenders to bypass, and she makes stealing the ball look easy. “She is a very competitive player on the court and will do whatever it takes to get possession of the ball, but off the court is one of the nicest people I know,” said junior teammate Lilly Trkla. “I don’t know what the team would do without her.”