Scouts Use Big Second Half Run To Win Third Straight Over Elk Grove

Fisher Drops 17 To Lead Scouts On Big Run

AJ Shaw, Sports Editor

VERNON HILLS — Saturday’s matchup against the Elk Grove Grenadiers looked on paper to be the toughest matchup of the season for Lake Forest.

With a 2-0 record, the Grenadiers had beaten Sycamore and Vernon Hills behind tremendous determination and a solid defense.

In the early going Elk Grove showed why they were a tough team to play against, showing their ability to score the basketball off three-pointers and in transition, taking a quick four-point lead right out of the gate.

However, the Scouts then took over, going on a 7-0 run to close out the quarter. But Elk Grove wouldn’t go away, continuing to make big baskets throughout the remainder of the first half and into the early stages of the third quarter ultimately cutting the Scouts lead to just two points.

“The first half started rough,” said junior captain Molly Fisher. “We didn’t rotate very well and that allowed them to get open shots.”

But then Lake Forest got hot, red hot, going on a 25-2 run through the end of the third quarter and into the early stages of the fourth quarter to put the game away with a 56-32 victory to improve to 3-0 on the season.

“Once the second half began, we started to play much better on defense and as a team,” said Fisher, “Our shooters got open and our passing got much better.”

The Scouts had a +10 turnover differential for much of the second half, but they were also incredible on the glass. Finola Summerville, who is usually known for her scoring, grabbed 11 rebounds including seven in the second half to lead the Scouts to victory.

Halle Douglass lead the Scouts in scoring with 18 points to go along with nine rebounds, six assists, four blocks, and three steals. Fisher chipped in 17 points and five three-pointers and Lilly Trkla had nine points and eight rebounds.

For Fisher, this was her first big scoring game of the season. After being held to single digits in points in the first two games, the junior got hot in the second half of Saturday’s game, scoring 14 of her 17 points and four of her five threes.

She was also very aggressive on the defensive side of the ball, holding Elk Grove’s point guard to just eight points.

“I knew I had to shut her down,” said Fisher, “I put more pressure on her and tried to get as many steals as possible. Offensively, I knew my shot wasn’t falling, but I also knew that I had to trust it, so I kept shooting. Ultimately, it started the shots started to go in and my confidence grew.”

As mentioned earlier, this win for Lake Forest improves its record to 3-0. The team is red hot in all facets of the game right now and it doesn’t look like they can be stopped. They have defeated their first three opponents by an average of 28 points and if they can continue this throughout the rest of the season there is no doubt they will have another deep playoff run in them.

The Scouts will continue the Cougar Classic on Monday against Sycamore and Iowa State commit Kylie Feuerbach. Stayed tuned to The Forest Scout for updates on girls basketball after every game.

QUICK FACTS:
Scouts Record: 3-0, 0-0
Next Game: Monday, November 25 at Sycamore at Vernon Hills High School
Follow the Game on the NFHS Network if you can’t make it!