Applications available for Outstanding Senior Athlete Award and Summer Camp Grants

Carter Horan, Editor

With the end of the school finally arriving, the Lake Forest High School Boosters have a number of programs upcoming to help students save money for all grade levels. This includes both the Outstanding Senior Athlete Award and the Summer Camp Grants for LFHS athletes.

To start, every year since 2000 the LFHS Boosters sponsor four senior athletes with the Outstanding Senior Athlete Award. It is awarded to students who have conducted themselves with LFHS spirit and sportsmanship, alongside high performance. Each athlete selected receives a $1000 scholarship along with being featured on the “Excellence” Mural at West Campus.

The “Excellence” wall at West is a compilation of last year’s senior athletes, along with a band member, and a prestigious student. And with this award, the Boosters only select four of the athletes selected for the wall.

To be eligible for the award, each athlete must have participated in an LFHS sport at the Varsity Level for at least 2 years, be eligible to graduate in the class of 2019, and must be good standing at LFHS.

For those eligible, you can nominate yourself by filling out an application listing all of your accomplishments as a Varsity athlete. And while filling out the form, you must only refer to one coach you’ve had at LFHS. A common misconception is that you need to be recommended by a coach to be considered for the award, but this is not true. Coaches can nominate their own players, but the majority of kids nominate themselves.

Last year’s award winners: Brett Chody (Cross Country), Audrey Kaus (Lacrosse), Jack Mislinski (Football/Lacrosse), and Caleb Durbin (Baseball).

All applications must be submitted by Monday, April 15, 2019, via the link provided: (https://lfhsboosters.org/osaa-student-athlete-application-2019/).

Winners will remain a surprise until they are unveiled Tuesday, May 30th during awards night.

For more questions on the Outstanding Senior Athlete Award, contact Mrs. Ellen Marwede ([email protected].)

__________________________________________________________________

The LFHS summer camp grant is a great way for student-athletes to save money while spending their summer sharpening their skills.

It is eligible to ALL current freshman, sophomores, and juniors participating in a recognized sport at LFHS and attending a summer camp for that sport. The summer grant will fulfill up to $150 in payment needed for camp.

It’s a way for the Lake Forest Boosters to support their students and their passion for athletics during the summer months. Many don’t know that this grant can be used for a camp outside of the Lake Forest High Schools camps. For example, Northwestern Basketball camp or Lake Forest College Tennis camp.

To start, you fill out a request on the Booster website (link below) about the details of the camp and what plan to get out of it. Next, you schedule a five-minute interview with the Booster volunteers where you simply explain what you did at camp. The interview is extremely quick, and casual and not something for students to get worked up about.

You can submit your Summer Camp Grant request between April 11th- May 10th.

Interview dates are May 13, May 14, May 15, May 17, and May 20.

You can sign up for both via the link provided: (https://lfhsboosters.org/grants/athlete-development-grant/.)

After your interview, you must mail a note to Mrs. Hender with a receipt to your camp by September 27th to confirm your attendance. And lastly, your check will be mailed out in the fall with up $150 in funds.

For more questions on the Summer Camp Grants, contact Mrs. Alana Hender: ([email protected].)