College Corner: Week 9

Logan Hanekamp

In Logan Hanekamp’s column, College Corner, she interviews five seniors who have decided on their colleges and learns about why they chose their school.

Name: Mary King
College: Elon University
Location: Elon, NC
Mascot: Phoenix
Why Elon?
“I toured Elon this fall and I absolutely fell in love with the campus. I think Elon is a good size for me and the staff there seems to care a ton about the students and their wellbeing. It just seemed like a perfect fit for me.”
What are you most excited for?
“I am most excited to meet new people and make lots of new friends. I am also excited to try new sports and clubs!”

Name: James Swartout
College: University of Wisconsin – Madison
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mascot: Badgers
Why Wisconsin?
“I chose Wisconsin because my grandpa went there and I have always been a Badger fan ever since I was a little kid. During Christmas, I always got Wisconsin Badger apparel and it has always been a top school of mine. I always compared other schools to Wisconsin so I knew that was the school where I wanted to go.”
What are you most excited for?
“I am excited to use all of the new features and cool technology the school has to offer. Everyone who goes to Wisconsin seems so nice and friendly so I’m super excited to meet new people and make new friends.”

Name: Kate Reinhardt
College: Bucknell University
Location: Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Mascot: Bison
Why Bucknell?
“I chose Bucknell because I felt that it was the perfect balance between academics, athletics, and social life. I knew I could get the college experience I wanted based on the campus and soccer program. I love the coaching staff and how they run their program. Overall, Bucknell seemed like a university that welcomed everything I looked for in a school and a soccer program.”

What are you most excited for?
“I am most excited to just start a new chapter of my life. I am excited to meet new people, play soccer at a high level, and become a better student-athlete.”

Name: Margaux Eckert
College: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Location: Champaign County, Illinois
Mascot: Fighting Illini
Why Illinois?
“I was looking for a school where I could excel in graphic design, but still have a college experience and Illinois was the perfect school for that. Illinois has an amazing art program and a great college life.”
What are you most excited for?
“I am really excited to have some familiar faces, but also so many new others. I’m definitely a people person and I am excited to meet new people.”

Name: Michael Pasquella
College: University of Miami
Location: Coral Gables, Florida
Mascot: Hurricanes
Why Miami?
“I chose Miami because I know several people there including some family members who all rave about it. The school has great weather, it’s a highly competitive school, and it offers a great education. I plan to major in Electronic Media and they have a great program for that. I also wanted to be in a city and Miami is very lively so I am very excited.
What are you most excited for?
“I am most excited for the new environment and especially the warm weather. I am also very excited to go to Miami with Tommy Glyman.”