College Admissions Scandal Lawsuit

Ella White

The college admission scandal has caused a major uproar in media these past couple weeks, making families think about if their child got a fair chance during the admission process. A furious California mother, Jennifer Kay Toy, has filed a class action lawsuit against the parents of the scandal for $500 billion.

After hearing the news of the scandal, Toy wondered if that was the reason her son, Joshua, got denied from all of the schools involved, despite having a 4.2 GPA (on a 4 point scale). According to the New York Post, she said, “I’m now outraged and hurt because I feel that my son, my only child, was denied access to a college not because he failed to work and study hard enough but because wealthy individuals felt that it was OK to lie, cheat, steal and bribe their children’s way into a good college.” Toy goes on and explains that she is not a wealthy person but if she was she “would not engage in the heinous despicable actions of the defendants.”

Since, this scandal has been taking place when LFHS seniors are hearing back from their schools, including the ones involved such as University of Southern California, UCLA, Stanford, Georgetown, Yale, Wake Forest, University of Texas at Austin, and University of San Diego, I asked a few students what their thoughts were on the whole scandal. Senior Bobby Winebrenner said, “Personally, I think it’s a joke that these parents would be willing to do that for their kids and also kind of maddening that there are admission spots out there being taken by teenagers like these.” Senior Shaffer Franklin said, “I think that the students who payed should get kicked out because there are plenty of other students who have worked their hearts out to get into these colleges and have been denied because these other students are taking their spots.” The fact that the parents had to bribe their kids’ way into top-academic schools is absurd but is it too much for parents to sue the families involved for $500 billion too much? I asked the seniors what they that about it. Winebrenner said, “I think a $500 billion lawsuit might be a bit extreme, but I agree with and can certainly understand why these parents and families are frustrated.” Franklin had a different approach on the situation and said, “I think the parents who are suing should actually be suing the schools because the schools are the ones who actually accepted the brides.” I then got Senior Kylie Prieto’s take on the situation and here’s what she had to say,“I think that the situation with the family who is suing for $500 billion is in my opinion a little unnecessary. Yes, spots were taken by people who paid their way into college and didn’t necessarily earn their spots, yet I think that suing for $500 billion is unnecessary. The kids who did not get into the top schools they wanted most likely have been accepted and are attending other great universities. The claims that some students have made about “not getting as good of a degree” from other schools they are attending now are really irrational claims because all college degrees are equally as important.”

Jennifer Kay Toy is very eager to win this and according to ABC News she is seeking for nothing less than $500 billion.