It’s Wacky Shirt Wednesday

Group of seniors hopes their tradition trumps Wheelie Wednesday

Margaux Miller, Editor

It’s Wednesday. Are you wearing your wacky shirt?

Every Wednesday for the past two months,  seniors Cassy King, Mary King, Ainsley Allan, Bella Watters, Lindsay Folker, Addie Sidles, and Ben Reinkemeyer have sported the most absurd and “wacky” t-shirts they can find.

Whether it be a bright red shirt with quotes from The Annoying Orange or a shirt with Scar from the Lion King with the quote “I am surrounded by idiots,” the seniors bond together through their common interest: Wacky Shirt Wednesday.

Three years ago, when these seniors were freshmen, they saw seniors on Heelys at least once a week, coining the term Wheelie Wednesday. This quickly became a fad, with many participants and different types of Heelys.

This group of seniors decided to bring it back, but put their own creative twist on it. The idea for Wacky Shirt Wednesday started at the beginning of this year before it was finally implemented second semester senior year.

“We found a lot of really funny shirts while thrifting so that’s how it started,” said Sidles.

The trendsetters have also set out to make it a more inclusive and school-wide movement.

“I would love it if people started wearing wacky shirts on Wednesday! That would be super cool to see a bunch of people wearing these shirts because of us,” said Allan.

Sidles has the largest collection, with nine shirts in total. While the others typically have up to two or three. Purchasing these shirts has not proven to be difficult because there are many places they can go to get their wacky shirt fix: Forever 21, Goodwill, and local thrift shops are common places to shop.

“Our favorite thrift stores are Salvation Army in Waukegan and any Goodwill,” said Sidles.

“I got one of my favorites while thrifting. I like the one that is a picture of a cat and it says ‘allergic to humans,’” said King.

But sometimes they find these articles of clothing right at home.

“My dad has so many strange shirts that he doesn’t even realize he owns,” said Reinkemeyer.

He has a wild collection. One include quotes from the movie Sandlot (“You’re killin’ me smalls!”) Another has pictures of Kermit the frog. Another is a simple red shirt asking “What boyfriend?”

A fan favorite is a navy blue graphic tee with Darth Vader on it that says, “Coolest dad ever.”

Watters, who is vegan, and Folker, who is vegetarian, have even worn the “got bacon?” black T-shirt.

Participation is not only accepted but it is highly encouraged.

“We would love it if people joined in as well but in the end it was just a fun thing for us to do as friends,” said Folker.

Comparison to Wheelie Wednesday is nearly impossible. However, Reinkemeyer said, “Wacky Wednesday is way better.”