Q&A With Our Student Body President

Q&A With Our Student Body President

Kyle Platt

What prompted you to run for student body president?

I wanted to run for Student Body President because I wanted to make LFHS as great as it can be. Over the past four years, I have been learning and taking note of things that can be improved upon. I have listened to my peers’ comments and concerns and I now can bring those forward to the administration. Being the Student Body President has given me the platform to make those changes and I am excited to see what we can do in the upcoming months.

What are your duties as president on a day to day basis?

Every week, I run the overall Student Council meetings by setting the agenda and checking in with each committee to see how they are doing. On a more daily basis, my duty is to listen to the students. I am always asking questions about things that can be changed or improved in order to make LFHS a safe and comfortable environment for all students. I regularly communicate with the administration whether it is a quick conversation with Ms. Malec or representing the student body at the monthly Board of Education meetings.

How has this position changed your view on LFHS?

This position has taught me many things. It has taught me to view the student body as many students, not just a generalization. Every student has a different background and different ideas they think would make LFHS better. I want to make LFHS a safe space for all and being able to recognize that we are not all the same, and learning this has helped me do that. LFHS is an amazing school and I am proud to serve the students as their President!

What are some things you have learned about yourself during your time as president?

I learned that I really need to listen more. It is very easy to set your own agenda by generalizing what the student body wants. This has been a recurring pattern in the past couple of years. This year I decided to change that, I needed to listen to the students. My job is to voice their concerns and in order to voice them, I need to listen to them first.

How can students help you in performing your job?

Students can help me by coming and talking to me if they have an issue! I am a really nice guy and I am open to any and all comments and concerns you may have. Let’s face it, going to talk to the principal can be daunting so let me help you in this process. I regularly have meetings with the administration, and I have strong relationships with many people in the administration that can help institute these changes.

What is a message you would pass down to future presidents?

Don’t be afraid to take risks and make changes! It is very easy to keep doing the same thing each year, however, if you really want to change the school, you need to change the way things are done.

Is there another leadership role you would pursue if you were not president?

If I was not Student Body President, I would still be as involved as I am today. Regardless of your leadership role, students have the ability to get involved with their school. I have dedicated myself to Student Council because they do amazing things for the school and the surrounding community. You do not need to have a leadership role to make a change, you need to courage within to do so! I knew I wanted to change this school for the better and I could do so as President or not!

What has been the toughest part about being president?

The toughest part about being president is probably having people come to me with their questions. I know that seniors and a handful of juniors know that they can come to me, but there are still many students that do not know where to take their ideas. I am trying to tackle this challenge by hosting “Ask the President” sessions during the lunch. Last Thursday I sat at a table during A, B, and C lunches and people could come and ask my questions and tell me their ideas to better the school. I am happy to say it was a success and I am excited to talk about the information I learned with Dr. Holland in the upcoming weeks.

What has been your favorite moment as president?

My favorite moment as president has to be the Homecoming Pep Rally. The Executive Team and I have such a blast putting together “JD’s Day Off” and it was amazing to see every student come together as the Lake Forest Scouts. There was so much school spirit present and it is something that I will never forget.

Kyle Platt, Author

Kyle Platt is a junior at LFHS who plays varsity hockey and enjoys a casual round of golf in his free time.  When not on the ice or the course, you can...