McAfee and Romo Bring a Spark to NFL Broadcasting

Over the past few years, fans have started to notice a downward trend of broadcasters who really bring that ‘it’ factor. Broadcasters like Joe Buck, Joe Tessitore, and Andrea Kremer fail to bring that “excitement factor” to a youthful audience. These broadcasters bring a very inauthentic and dull perspective to the game. Many believe that putting the game on mute has little effect on the viewer’s experience when these broadcasters are live in the booth.

Joe Buck has always had the issue of being bias, he always has focused on individual players and has almost rooted for the team that player plays for. His credibility is suspect, considering he was born into the family business of broadcasting, where his father had a career calling St. Louis Cardinals games for years.

In general, TV networks have seemingly been producing many broadcasters that are more focused on informing you about the game, rather than enhancing the experience for the audience these broadcasters are trying to reach.

Luckily, we have started to see a new branch of broadcasters who have brought the excitement factor back to professional football. New wave broadcasters like Tony Romo and Pat McAfee, although not tenured like Chris Collinsworth and Troy Aikman, have been trailblazing a new path in the booth.

Pat McAfee, an absolute legend, has made his trademark in the NFL during his career-long stint as a punter for the Indianapolis Colts. His dramatic flare and charisma at an overlooked position has led his career after football to soaring heights. Stapling a roll in the media outlet Barstool Sports, he created his own comedic podcast surrounding football. When given the opportunity to broadcast a game in the 2018 season, McAfee did not disappoint.  His passion and humor made for an unforgettable performance in the booth and won over the hearts of young NFL fans nationwide.

Tony Romo, on the other hand, brings more of a first hand experience when watching a broadcast. After graduating from Eastern Illinois, a school very under the radar in producing NFL talent, Romo led a successful campaign over the course of 14 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. His quarterback mind has translated seamlessly to the booth, as it seems like he calls the game like he has already seen it. His anticipation of the play calling is one of a kind, and keeps viewers more than intrigued.

Although some former players turned broadcasters like Jason Witten and Booger McFarland haven’t been as popular has the aforementioned McAfee and Romo, they at least bring a different edge and perspective to the booth. So, we ask you, networks nationwide, to find an analyst who won’t just call the plays, or read old statistics, but have a personality.  One that can lure an audience of all ages.

About the Writers
Danny Moorhead, Staff Writer

Danny Moorhead is a thriving senior at Lake Forest High School who is a captain for the boys varsity lacrosse team. He is an active member of student council...

Danny Fisher, Author

Danny Fisher is a member of the varsity golf team and is looking forward to studying in Oxford next year. He enjoys writing in the In the News section...