Douglass joins exclusive 1,000 points club

Margaux Miller, Editor

Junior Halle Douglass made school history recently, becoming just the fourth female basketball player to score 1,000 points in a career. The other members of the group are alums Claire Dimario, Katie Barr, and Janie Hodkinsons, who holds the school record  with more than 1,300 points.

Douglass, who has been on varsity since her freshman year,  is the starting point guard for the team.

“It was just sort of a thing that happened. I was playing and all my points just happened to add up,” Douglass said.

To score 1,000 points, a player needs to average 250 points a season, which equals approximately 8.5 points a game. Douglass, however, has nearly doubled this average, with about 16.8 points per game.

“Scoring that consistently is really hard, and the record is super hard to get, especially as a junior,” senior Ellie Pearson said.

Head Coach Kyle Wilhelm celebrated her achievement by taking a time out during their game against Highland Park.

“Everybody was cheering and clapping; it was really exciting and really nice,” said Douglass.

Wilhelm said Douglass is “one of the most versatile players” he has coached.

“She is very effective during the game both offensively and defensively,” he said.

Douglass does more than score.  She has averaged 8.3 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 3.8 steels, and 2.3 blocks.

Beyond the stats, Pearson described Douglass as “super supportive” and “really hard working.”

“Even when you make mistakes, she reminds you that you’ll get the next one. She’s really the type of teammate who pushes you to be better just by the way she plays,”  said Pearson.

Wilhelm has high expectations for her in the future.

“Because she’s such a hard worker, she’s going to keep improving her game,” said Wilhelm. “Her growth from her freshman year to now has been dramatic; I look forward to seeing her next year.”

The Girls Varsity Basketball team has ambitious goals for the season; their main priority is making Sectionals, something neither the boys or girls teams have achieved.