College Corner: Week One

Logan Hanekamp

In Logan Hanekamp’s column, College Corner, she interviews five seniors who have decided on their colleges and learns about why they chose their school.

Name: Danny Fisher

College: Miami University

Location: Oxford, Ohio

Mascot: RedHawks

Why Miami?

“I visited in September of my junior year and absolutely loved it. The college process was different for me because I talked to the coaches throughout my golf recruitment process and I really bonded with the coach. I felt Miami chose me just as much as I chose Miami. The school reminded me of Lake Forest which I thought would be a good fit. There seems to be a great balance of social life, academics, and athletics.”

What are you most excited for?

“I am most excited to be on my own for the first time. This will be a whole new experience and I am excited to experience it. I am also super excited for playing golf year round and being apart of Miami’s golf team and bonding with the team.”

Name: Margaux Miller

College: University of Notre Dame

Location: South Bend, Indiana

Mascot: Fighting Irish

Why Notre Dame? “ND has always been in my family. Ever since I was 9 I loved the campus and everything that the school represented. They really value faith and tradition and that has always been important to me.”

What are you most excited for? “I’m most excited for meeting new people and a new found independence. I’ll be close enough to home that visits will be easy but far enough that they won’t come up every weekend. Also studying things that i want to pursue in the future, not just because it’s required in the curriculum.”

Name: Peter Lynch

College: College of Charleston

Location: Charleston, South Carolina

Mascot: Cougars

Why Charleston?

“I chose Charleston because I have family from that area so it was pretty familiar. I also really like how the campus is layed out. Charleston’s architecture and weather were also two main reasons why I chose it.”

What are you most excited for?

“I am most excited about starting school in a completely different environment. The weather is completely different and I am excited to experience the whole college environment and campus life. I am also really excited making new friendships.”

Name: Caroline Theis

College: Baylor University

Location: Waco, Texas

Mascot: Bears

Why Baylor? “I immediately felt at home when I stepped foot on Baylor’s campus. Not only are there strong academics, big sports, and warm weather, but it’s a school with a powerful Christian community, which is incredibly important to me.”

What are you most excited for? “I have wanted to become a nurse practitioner ever since I was little. I am most looking forward to pursuing my passion in science as a nursing major. I also plan on minoring in Spanish and hope to study abroad in Spain.”

Name: Ellie Pearson

College: Johns Hopkins University

Location: Baltimore, MD

Mascot: Blue Jay

Why Johns Hopkins? “I chose Johns Hopkins because they have a great pre-med program and there are a lot of opportunities. Also, Baltimore is an awesome city there are so many things to do and it’s so pretty.”

What are you most excited for? “I am definitely most excited to join the basketball team and meet all of the girls. I am excited to play and have fun.”