Stressed with finals?

Here are five ways to deal with it

Berkeley Disch, Staff Writer

Final exam week always brings extra stress for students. Luckily, there are many helpful tips to relieve stress.

Here are five realistic, effective ways to relieve stress.

1. Download the app called Mindfulness: It’s super quick and focuses on breathing and meditation for five minutes.
  2. Workout: Getting your body moving is a great way to relieve stress. Go in the morning before school or at the end of the day. It’s a good way to get mind your off of things and get back in the right mindset. Working out is “ allows you to dig deeper and ultimately work stuff out inside your head,” senior SoulCycle Instructor Joshua Waddell said.
  3. Breathing: Trying breathing in for four out for eight, in for six out for 12, in for eight out for 16 and so on. Breathing out longer sends signals to your brain which will ultimately help you calm down.
  4. Playing with your pet: Pets have a soothing nature and gives you something fun to give your brain a break. For those of you who don’t have a pet something that can be done is watching funny videos on Instagram or Youtube.
  5. Listen to music: Putting on relaxing music or your favorite song is a great way to help. It will put you in a good mood and ultimately clear your head.

English teacher Matt Dewar, who is a certified wellness practitioner,  encourages students to redefine what success actually means to them.

“Are you successful if you have great grades, great test scores, and admission to first choice university, but when you wake up in the morning you don’t like yourself or your life?” he asked.

Students need to learn to set their lives up with a proper balance.

“Life balance, happiness, and well-being must be integral features of any model of success worth pursuing. So work on life balance; don’t take on more than what you can handle,” Dewar said.

He encourages students to take more time for themselves and find ways to move their busy schedule around.

“LFHS students are notorious for taking on too much. Drop an AP, take a break from the grind, or do something different. Don’t hang your self-worth solely on external accomplishments,” he said.