Dating in College- A Quote Story

Carter Horan

Throughout the high school experience, emotions are stirring and most people find themselves in a relationship one time or another. Some relationships may last as short as a week while other couples find themselves together for years. Many kids continue these relationships into their later years of high school, creating a bond that lasts for a long time. But at the end of every summer, senior graduates have to make a decision whether or not to stick their significant other. There have been a variety of people who have had success with long-distance relationships while others haven’t been as fortunate.

Many people make it work with universities close enough where they can see each other on weekends. Some couples even follow each other to the same college. Those who date long-distance find themselves upset with the inability to see their companion every day. Trust is essential with the risk factors at colleges but with the right people it can work perfectly. A lot of students think negatively when they hear “dating in college.” But it’s important to have to an open mind and respect everyone’s decision for what they choose to do when August rolls around. TFS decided to talk to members of the Class of 2019 to hear their perspective on the topic from the students themselves.

All quotes presented in this article are from anonymous Lake Forest High School students.

“It takes a lot of trust because there’s so much stuff that can happen at college.”

“It’s a recipe for disaster, but there have been a lot of success stories.”

“Unless you know he/she is the one, I think there comes a point in time when you need to expand your horizons and play the field.”

“I think it all depends on the location of the school, how well the personalities match and being able to adapt to change. Not many can pull it off, but it seems like those who do have strong relationships.”

“I don’t know how I feel about it, but I think it’s good to explore other options, you know? You don’t have to worry about your old self and [can] focus on becoming someone new.”

“I think it’s respectable to keep a relationship with a high school boyfriend or girlfriend. But continuing that relationship into college only restrains your opportunities to enter the new social milieu of whatever college or university you attend.”

“For some people, it works, but for others, it ends up with one cheating on the other.”

“I think that dating in college could get really difficult. There is a lot of temptation and both people would have to really want to do it. I don’t think it’s worth doing in my opinion.”

“College is meant to be an exciting and new experience, so it makes sense why some choose to call it quits heading in. That being said, if it’s the right person, it’s definitely worth trying long distance.”

“I personally think that dating in college can work, but that it often doesn’t and can be really tough.  Personally, I think you need some time apart for at least the first few months to figure things out. In my opinion, if you are actually meant to be together that you will reconnect and often have a better relationship than before.”

“I think that if two people really care about each other and want to stay together it can work and they can both be happy, but sometimes it can be very difficult and it might be better for both sides if they took time off. It really depends on the couple and what they feel like would be best for them. Sometimes the hardest choice can be what’s best for everyone.”

“I think it’s a great idea for two people to continue their relationship into college no matter the circumstances.”

“I’d say it’s only really worth it if the couple has been dating a while, and they think they can make it work. But honestly, people can’t get the full experiences at college if they are being held back by a high school relationship.”

“I think it’s silly because college is the time to meet new people and branch out. Also, if you are dating someone who is still in high school you are always going to be tied to high school and they’re not going to be able to enjoy their high school experience.”

“I personally think dating in college gets a bad connotation and while I think it’s important to experience college on your own, I don’t think college should be the only reason to break up. The cons definitely outweigh the pros but if two people are happy and don’t see the point of breaking up, I don’t see the point in trying to stay together.”

“I think if you really enjoy spending time with that person then it’s definitely worth doing. If you trust the other person and the other person trusts you, then it’s definitely possible to make it work.”