The Sanctity of the Upper Commons

Brady Christoph

This is a public service announcement to any underclassmen who does not want to get barked at and a call to action to every senior to enforce the unwritten laws of LFHS. Over the course of my time at the high school, I knew there was one place that was off limits to anybody but the senior class, and now that I have reached the highest grade level in the school, I see why the seniors hold this sacred place so dear to their hearts.

Similar to the Senior Star, the Upper Commons is a symbol of respect for the ones who made it to their final year. With that comes the responsibility of the underclassman to honor that respect and the seniors to crack down on the rebels who strut through the commons with arrogance. The present issue is that these underclassman are too caught up in their egos to realize that they are infringing on the rights of their superiors. These acts can especially be seen in the freshman class, as they are unaware of the immense amount of dedication and determination that the seniors have put into their work to make it to the king spot on campus. The majority of the younger classes have adjusted after the first quarter; however, there are still the renegades that mock their elders when using the upper commons as a shortcut to their next class.  

“The upper commons is a strict no fly zone for underclassman, they shouldn’t step foot in or near it; heck, they shouldn’t even look at it. We’ve worked hard to get where we are and we deserve respect,” says Eli Fietsam.

What you might expect going into sanctioned off region without the proper status is a load of barks and various other dog noises projecting in your direction. The seniors see this as defending their territory and issuing their dominance among the younger students. If this is heard among the commons, it also alerts others of the highest stature to join in and help evict the outliers.

“The only appropriate response to the appalling acts committed by underclassmen walking through upper commons would be the response of wolves and dogs howling and barking throughout the night looking for their next prey,” says Dan Grady.

As a freshman, students are restricted to a small room packed with others like themselves monitored closely by a teacher. Usually they have pretty strict rules and are not allowed to leave unless they need to take a test. Sophomores are allowed a little more freedom and the privilege of escaping to the library. The juniors now have their own designated study hall in the upstairs of the library with the availability to sit with their friends but still under the harsh oversight of the study hall teachers. When students eventually make it to their final year, most are looking forward to their senior privilege and the smell of freedom in the upper commons; the three years in confinement makes the leniency of Mrs. Hector even sweeter. The seniors are adamant about this and hope future classes respect the upper commons and it’s traditions.

“If you’re an underclassman and you come into our territory, prepare to be barked at viciously,” says Eli.