Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

In 2014, College Football changed for the better by entering the playoff era. By creating this system, there would no longer be the argument of who should be in the National Championship game; however, by only having a four team playoff, there is now an argument as to who should be in the playoffs. A common solution football fans have to this debate is to add four more teams. This argument became relevant last year when the University of Central Florida went undefeated and felt as if they should have been included in the College Football Playoffs. The 2018 season has been another prime example of why the NCAA should expand the playoff system to eight teams. After Week Eight, there are three unbeaten teams in the top three, along with a fourth, UCF, sitting at 12. For years, many argued that since the top four teams were all so similar in talent, there should be a four team playoff. Now, it is becoming more apparent that almost every team in the top eight is evenly matched.

If the season were to end now, an impressive Michigan team would be left out of the playoffs, despite an impressive 42-7 win against 14 ranked Penn State. Alongside Michigan, a rising Oklahoma team would be excluded because of an early season loss to Texas. The list goes on- there are at least four more teams that deserve a shot at the National Title; however, one bad game can prevent them from doing so.

By expanding the playoffs to eight teams, the argument would be solved. Teams like Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Georgia would get a second chance and be able to forget about their one loss. Despite having two losses, one being to the more than impressive Alabama, LSU would possibly get another chance to prove themselves. In addition, UCF would be able to get a chance after possibly completing back to back undefeated seasons. By expanding the playoffs to eight teams, many more teams would be able to control their own destiny, and fans would not be left wondering if their team belonged.

Stephen Young, Author

Stephen Young is a Junior at Lake Forest High School who plays basketball and is an avid hip-hop fan. You can find his writing in the In Music and In Between the Lines sections.

1 Comment

One Response to “Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion”

1. Joey Goodsir on November 8th, 2018 10:07 am

Stephen, I 100% agree that there should be an expansion to eight teams, and here is my proposal for how they should go about that. It would do something difficult, which is make College Football even more exciting than it already is:

Get rid of bland conference championship games in half filled NFL stadiums, conference championships decided by standings once again.

Then, replace conference championship game Saturday with the first round of an eight team playoff (occupied by power 5 conference champions and 3 at large, one of those can be an undefeated group of 5 if applicable).

Here is the catch though: each game of this round of 8 is hosted by higher seeds (Just think about how cool that would be!!, we could have gotten Alabama vs. Wisconsin in Madison last year, for example).

Then, proceed December/January postseason as normal, with round of four and national championship at same times (Jan 1 semifinals, etc.) and at neutral sites.

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

Girls Basketball

Girls’ Basketball Kicks Off Its Season

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

Our Town Play Preview

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

In Between the Lines

The Athletic Achievements of Former St. Mary’s Crusaders

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

Ask Seniors: Balancing Everything

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

In Style

CELEBSTEAL: Hailey Baldwin

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

Catching Up With Mr. Coad

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

Mother Trust collecting coats for annual winter drive

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

4 Your Information

4 Your Information: Mental Health & LFHS

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

Student-Led Bands: The Swing Sonatas

• Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion

LF’s Evan Boudreaux finds new home with Purdue Basketball

Stephen Young Proposes CFP Expansion