Halloween in High School

Clare Lawler

Many students are disappointed that the weather is cooling down and school work is picking up. When high schoolers were younger, we would be thrilled for fall because it meant Halloween and trick-or-treating. Now that we’re in high school, trick-or-treating is no longer popular. It’s a common misconception that Halloween is difficult to enjoy in high school. However, there are many other ways you can enjoy the crisp breezes and colorful leaves of autumn.

Host or attend a Halloween party

Staying in a warm house by attending or hosting a Halloween party instead of going trick or treating can be a fun way to spend your Halloween night. To add to the spook factor, try throwing up creepy decorations and playing Halloween classics, such as “Monster Mash” and “Thriller.” Telling scary stories or playing with a Ouija board is a fun way to keep the night spooky. With all guests in costume and a bowl of candy out, you are set for a exciting Halloween night.

Go to a pumpkin patch

During the spooky month of October, pumpkin patches all around Lake Forest and Lake Bluff open. Didier farms, in Lincolnshire, is a fun pumpkin patch with a winding corn maze and hayride. The close proximity makes for an easy way to spend a Saturday. Another pumpkin patch, Richardson Adventure Farm, lies only 45 minutes from LFHS and is famous for the world’s largest corn maze. Another appeal of pumpkin patches is that they nearly always have apple cider donuts—one of the most delicious fall treats. And of course, the main reason to attend a pumpkin patch—actual pumpkins. Picking out your own pumpkin to carve into a spooky jack o’lantern is an exciting alternative to buying one at a supermarket.

Have a scary movie marathon

Freeform, formerly known as ABC, is famous for “31 Days of Halloween.” Each day of October, Freeform shows a Halloween movie to get their audience in the mood for the holiday. You could watch one of the abundance of scary Netflix movies: if you’re brave enough!

Clare Lawler, Staff Writer

Clare Lawler is a junior at LFHS who is an active member of cross country and track. You can find her work in the In Our Opinion or In Music section. She spent the summer working with The School of the New York Times and enjoys going to concerts, drinking coffee, and traveling the world.