Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

5 reasons to donate blood Tuesday

Donating blood. Those two words separately don’t have much effect, but put them together and they can be daunting. Especially to a high school student.

However, donating blood can be a very rewarding experience.

Our school hosts blood drives by Life Source semiannually, once in October and again in February.  Our next is Tuesday.

There are many perks of participating in drives. Not only is it extremely helpful for our community, but also a gratifying experience that saves lives.

Here are five reasons to donate blood Tuesday.

Number one: It saves lives. One donation can potentially save up to three lives. There are approximately 4.5 million lives saved a year from blood transfusions.

Number two: Blood is precious. Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood. Blood and platelets cannot be manufactured, they can only come from volunteer donors.

Number three: Missing class. Students can miss any class throughout the day to donate. They are accepting appointments from 8:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Number four: They give out free stuff. For every drive they give out T-shirts or drawstring bags, whatever customized item they decide for that month.

Number five: It’s healthy. Regular donating can reduce risk of sudden heart attacks by 88 percent as your body creates new, strong red blood cells. It also burns calories, approximately 650 and all you have to do is sit there!

What you need to know in order to donate:

• You must be 16 or older to participate and over 110 lbs
  • 17 and under must have a permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian
  • Must bring a photo ID
  • Be sure to drink lots of water and eat a healthy breakfast the day you donate

Come support and donate on Oct. 23 in the field house during periods one through seven. Every donation counts. Happy donating!