Senior Tips: A College Guide for Underclassmen

• Get ACT/SAT done early

I can assure you that one of the most satisfying feelings is finally finishing the ACT/SAT process. In order to reduce your stress levels, getting these completed during your junior year is ideal. The majority of students also hire a tutor which can drastically help to improve your overall score. Personally, I would recommend doing this during your junior year if you have a free season. For example, if you played a fall sport, starting your tutoring in the winter would put you in perfect shape for earning your highest score prior to senior year.

• Start freshman year strong

Freshman year is undoubtedly one of the most important years for your GPA. It sets the baseline for the rest of your high school career. Plus, there’s no better way to start high school than getting good grades and setting high standards for yourself. So for any freshman reading this: we’re barely halfway through first semester and right now is the best time to buckle down and focus on your schoolwork.

• Take college visits early

The best way to find the right college for you is to see them in person. But first, I recommend researching universities and completing the “SuperMatch” survey on Naviance. Once you have an idea, going out and visiting these colleges is the best way to get ahead of the pack. Often, students take trips during the spring of junior year and the summer before senior year. It’s a great way to get a better idea of what you’re looking for in a school.

• Meet with your counselors- they want to help you

Throughout the entire high school experience, students often forget about their counselor. Whether you’re a sophomore struggling in your first AP class or a senior trying to complete the Common App, your counselor is someone who is always willing to help. Not only this, but everybody is assigned a social worker to guide you through any struggles you have at LFHS. Also, If you need any essays looked over, our counselors and librarians are great tools that aren’t utilized enough.

• Activities- Clubs, Athletics, Arts

Get involved! Here at LFHS, we’re lucky to have so many opportunities to do whatever interests you. Attend that Model UN meeting, tryout for the volleyball team, create an intramural team with your friends. Try new things while you’re at LFHS because you never know what you’ll fall in love with. Also, you don’t want to be that senior joining every club possible for your college application. Be proactive with your activities, and I promise everything will work out.