LFHS: Then and Now

In Logan Hanekamp’s column, “LFHS Then and Now,” she discusses changes in LFHS over the past couple years and compares the new changes to the old.  

Schools have changed tremendously over the past decade. What were once chalkboards are now whiteboards and Smart Boards. Writing with pen and paper has become minimal due to computers taking over learning in the classroom. Students even groan at the idea of writing on paper. The new advancements in technology have fostered a great deal of changes in schools all around the country. Besides clear technological changes, Lake Forest High School has endured many other notable changes over the past couple years.

Then

Snack Shop

The room across from the wedge cafe used to be the hub for socializing, snacking, and chatting with Lynn. The shelves were filled with all of the chips, candy, and sweets one could imagine. People would rush to get there before the 8:15 am start time to grab the famous donuts. Visiting the snack shop was the highlight of the day for many students. Three years ago, the whole student body grew angry as news circled that the snack shop was being taken away from the commons. Little did they know what would pop up the next school year ―a coffee shop.

Now

Thrift Store

In the room filled with the essence of the snack shop, a thrift store popped up in the fall of 2017 thanks to the Human Rights Club. The club created the Continental Thrift Store in an effort to make a progressive difference in the world. The store is open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 7:45-8:10 in the morning. Students can now drop by the store and conveniently buy hip new outfits at school, all while advancing global human rights.

Then

Teachers’ Lounge

Where the coffee shop resides today used to be the long time home of the teachers’ lounge. What made the teachers’ lounge so desirable was the separate food options for the teachers. They had their own food separate from the student cafeteria; therefore, the teachers could avoid the students as they ate their lunch. The teachers now find their respite in the Wedge Cafe.

Now

Coffee Shop

The coffee shop, nicknamed The Daily Grind, seems as though it has been in the school forever as it is an impressively popular setting for students to travel when they have a few spare minutes. The coffee shop emerged in the fall of 2016 and has been the buzz ever since. Famous for its gluten free muffins, groovy music, and signature like drinks, The Daily Grind is one of the top hang-out settings in LFHS.

Then

Traditional Schedule

The 2015-2016 school year was the last year for many key aspects of LFHS, from the closing of the snack shop, to the major shift in senior privileges, and, most notably, the last year of a traditional schedule. The traditional schedule consisted of the exact same schedule of classes every day. Students would arrive to school each day of the week at 7:50 a.m. and would spend their day in about eight 50 minute class periods. The school day ended at 3:15 p.m. Looking back on this schedule, it seems extremely repetitive and mundane, but at the time LFHS felt it was the “norm.”

Now

Block Schedule

Three years ago, LFHS implemented the new block schedule. While creating this schedule created much debate among both the student and faculty, it has proven to be very successful. Students appreciated the new start times with Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays starting at 8:15 and Wednesdays and Thursdays beginning at 9:00. Time seemed to be the most substantial change with the new schedule. Although students loved the new schedule, many teachers who have been at LFHS for a while struggled with changing their lesson plans because a fluctuating schedule makes lesson planning a lot more difficult.

Then

Upper Commons Junior and Senior Study Hall

The Upper Commons area has always been a junior-senior study hall space. The upperclassmen enjoyed their freedom of being out of jail-like study halls in the basement. While the juniors and seniors both hung out together in the upper commons, the seniors had their designated high-top tables in the commons. Last year, the Upper Commons became a senior only study hall.  

Now

Upper Commons Senior Study Hall Only

The current senior class had the Upper Commons stripped away from them as juniors and it is now reserved specifically for seniors. As of last year, the Upper Commons area is now a senior privilege; if any underclassmen or junior steps foot inside, they are immediately stared down.