Open Doors Job-Shadowing Returns

Open Doors Job-Shadowing Returns

Claire Mahoney

Open Doors, a job-shadowing opportunity for all LFHS students, is back on November 1st and 2nd. Chicagoland businesses and professionals chose either half-day or full day sessions when a ranging amount of students can come to their place of business, learn more about the job or jobs within the company, and see work in action. Opportunities range from spending a day with the Deloitte Accounting Firm in downtown Chicago, teaching at Deer Path Middle School, or standing alongside a dermatologist during appointments with patients. With 236 student participating in the event last year, Open Doors has had a growing impact on students in all grades. Its wide range of both career shadowing and service opportunities allows every student to find something that should spark interest.

Senior Lindsay Folker was very happy with her experience over two years, shadowing a Lake Bluff Elementary teacher her sophomore year and a sixth grade teacher her junior year. “I was able to see the behind the scenes of teachers’ lives like how they made lesson plans or how they organized their days. While it did make me realize I do not want to go into teaching, at least not for smaller children, I’m glad I did Open Doors because it allowed me to see what the career really was about,” she said.

Ellie Pearson, also a senior, shadowed a veterinarian her sophomore year where she was able to view x-rays, see patients, and observe behind-the-scenes aspect of the job. “At the time, I was very interested in veterinary medicine, so it was really cool to see what it’s actually like to have a job in that field.”

Go to lfhsopendoors.com to preview job-shadowing and service opportunities and their location. Registration for events begins on Tuesday, October 9th at 6:00 am. Events fill up quickly, so be sure to register as soon as possible. The form will close at 6:00 am on Friday the 12th. Open Doors provides great opportunities for all students, so take advantage of your days off and sign up for one or more of the interesting events!

Open Doors Job-Shadowing Returns 1

Claire Mahoney, Author

Claire Mahoney is a senior writing for the In Between the Lines and In LFHS sections of the Forest Scout. Claire is a setter on the Varsity Volleyball...