Football Preview: Bears vs. Seahawks

Sammy Duarte

Strengths Bears:

Unlike the past, the Chicago Bears have many strengths heading into this game. Chicago has strengths on both sides of the ball but what stands out above everything else is their defense. The Bears have made some major upgrades this offseason to their defense which propelled them to one of the top defenses in the league- especially in their pass rush. Their bread and butter comes from getting to the quarterback.

On the offensive side of the ball the Bears have also made some key additions. They brought in some very talented young receivers that are prime targets for second year quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. Chicago has expanded their horizons on offense to where they can take shots down the field or complete short passes to extend their drive. The Bears also have one of the better run games in the NFL. They consistently run the ball with tremendous success thanks to their star running back Jordan Howard.

All in all the Chicago Bears have the ability to pick apart defenses and wreak havoc on defense with their various weapons.

Strengths Seahawks:

The Seattle Seahawks don’t have as many weapons as they did in previous years. Their star and undoubtedly most valuable player quarterback Russell Wilson remains at the center of their universe. Wilson has at least one reliable target remaining that he can consistently depend on to make plays in Doug Baldwin but he’s out this week with a knee injury.

On defense Seattle still has one of the best safeties in football in Earl Thomas. Thomas has been viewed as one of the “founding fathers” of that Seattle defense. He has been with the Seahawks his whole career and has elevated his game to the highest level and now causes major problems for quarterbacks all over the league. This helps Seattle defend against the deep pass and may cause coaches to second the throwing down field.  

Key Matchup:

The key matchup of this game will be Khalil Mack vs Russell Wilson. Monday Night’s game will test both Mack’s ability to get to the quarterback and Wilson’s uncanny ability to escape intense defensive pressure. Both Mack and Wilson have dominated their positions since they entered the league. In fact, Russell Wilson’s ability to extend plays and make something out of nothing earned him and the Seahawks a Super Bowl ring in 2014 with a win over the Denver Broncos. Since then, Russell Wilson has established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. It’s safe to say that this matchup will bring a lot of excitement to Bears and Seahawks fans alike.  

Previous Week Stats:

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky had an up and down game Sunday night going 23 of 35 for 171 yards. He also ran the ball seven times for 32 yards and touchdown. Running back Jordan Howard had 15 carries for 82 yards. He also caught all five balls thrown his way for 25 yards. Cornerback Bryce Callahan led the Bears with eight tackles. Rookie linebacker Roquan Smith had a sack in his first NFL game. Pass Rusher Khalil Mack had a record breaking first half in his debut with Chicago recording a sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, and an interception that he returned for a touchdown. Defensive lineman Akiem Hicks also recorded a sack in the first game of the season.

Seattle Seahawks: Russell Wilson went 19 for 33 and threw for 298 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions in Sunday’s loss to the Denver Broncos. Running back Chris Carson rushed 7 times for 51 yards. Rookie tight end Will Dissly caught three passes for 105 yards and a touchdown. Seattle’s defense intercepted Broncos quarterback Case Keenum on three separate occasions.