Categories:

Why Are Fewer Students Reading for Pleasure?

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Grace
Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Grace

When’s the last time you’ve picked up a book and actually read it? I’m not talking about one that your English teacher assigned you to read in class; I mean one that you read in your free time.  I’m going to guess that it’s probably been a while. 

In our generation, one that is dominated by electronics and screen time, students are finding that reading is much less appealing.

Only 20% of 9-13 year olds say they read for fun. About a third of seniors have not read a book  for pleasure in the last year — which is about triple the number who said so in the 1970s.

For students like junior Anna Jasper, reading a book feels like more homework.

“When I get home from a long day of school and sports, the last thing I want to do after finishing my homework is read another book. I know it might be good for me, but by the end of the day, my brain can’t process more information, even if it’s just reading for fun,” junior Anna Jasper said. 

It’s also more tempting to spend time scrolling on a phone than to invest hours in reading a book. 

“I suspect that many people reach for their phones as opposed to a book when they have free time. I also feel that our attention spans have shortened. It seems likely that as we become used to consuming content that is very short, our stamina for lengthier pursuits will decrease,” LFHS Librarian Mrs. Lauren Fairchild said.  

However, social media also has drawn people to books. It has created online communities where people from all over the world feel comfortable to share their opinions and recommend certain books to one another.

Photo courtesy of Tess Uihlein

“BookTok has definitely driven the demand for a lot of the books that students ask for in the library. It’s fun to see the microtrends of genres and authors that happen, although it can be hard to keep up! Social media sometimes encourages people who might not otherwise pick up a book to try reading, which is great,” LFHS Librarian Mrs. Katie Pausch said. 

If you want to dive into the online world of reading and connect with peers, check out apps like Goodreads and TikTok, talking to or reading about other book lovers can inspire you to pick up your next read.

Yet, with extremely busy schedules, it is hard for students to experience the relaxing nature of reading when they are always on the go or stressing for their next exam. 

“I always loved reading growing up, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve found it’s hard to find time to sit down and dedicate time to reading,” senior Mona Ferraioli said.

The Reading Workshop program here is aimed to help students find the time to read, English Instructional Director Mrs. Kristen Carlson said.  

“In the English Department, we have Reading Workshop, which has been a vital part of the LFHS English program and has been in place for over 30 years. Teachers and the librarians work together to help students choose books that are matched to their interests. They give book talks to generate excitement and provide opportunities for discussion and reflection. At its heart, it is about giving the students time and space to read,” she said.

The access to fun reading programs doesn’t end there. 

“We also have LFHS Reads. Every spring, students and educators select books together for book club groups in the fall. We usually have about 10 to 12 different book clubs running at the same time on one morning in early August. The energy in the library is fantastic—just people talking about books,” Carlson said. 

Sure it is great to read in school, but what can be done to inspire students to read outside the classroom?

“Committing to the habit of reading before bed, even if it is just a few pages, can make a huge difference. It’s also a great alternative to scrolling right before you go to sleep, which is problematic for a variety of reasons,” Fairchild said.

$1150
$800