Categories:

Never Too Late: Seniors Getting Involved In New Activities at LFHS

Senior Eva Elsen on the cross country team
Courtesy of @lakeforestxc on Instagram
Senior Eva Elsen on the cross country team Courtesy of @lakeforestxc on Instagram

Senior year is often considered as the year of wrapping things up. The last year of enjoying the moments of youth before moving into adulthood. 

Celebrations such as senior nights and graduations commemorate the time, effort, and hard work students have put in for years. Although in some ways senior year marks the end, many are finding that there is always still room for trying something new. 

For senior Eva Elsen, this meant the beginning of a newfound love for running. Elsen had been on the Field Hockey team for three years before deciding to switch to Cross Country for her senior year. 

“I wanted to try something new for my senior year, and I thought the team looked really fun,” said Elsen. “The team is really inclusive and friendly and there is no one who was really on the outskirts. I felt like it was all one big team… I would recommend.”  

Elsen is not the only senior making this change. The girl’s golf team was surprised at tryouts in August, when an unexpected 13 seniors spontaneously decided to learn a new sport after hearing the team was open to inexperienced players. 

“It’s a sport for life, so it’s a good chance for people to get out and learn how to play, so it’s a chance…to at least get on the golf course and experience for the first time, and if they love it for their life, wonderful,” said Head Coach Sam Beckman.

Senior Chloe Hvostik happened to be one of the new players. Hvostik played with her parents over the summer, which led her to decide to play the sport with the school. She now wishes she had started freshman year.  

“Golf takes a lot of time. It’s about skill and you have to be patient with it, so I kind of wish I was able to grow throughout the seasons and become a better player,” said Hvostik. “I recommend trying anything because it’s your last year, so why not? I think you can learn a lot of things and grow.” 

The decision to expand involvement for senior year, however, is not limited to sports. Senior Emily Lim had always wanted to take ceramics but never found enough time in her schedule to do so, until her first semester of senior year. She is now enrolled in Ceramics 1. 

“Having that experience earlier in your high school career is good to have, but it doesn’t make a difference if you do it your last year or not,” said Lim.

With the various clubs and sports offered at Lake Forest High School, anyone can start to get involved, even seniors.

$1150
$800