Categories:

Skoo Walker: 30 Years Announcing for The Scouts

Skoo Walker, LFHS athletic announcer
Photo Courtesy of Nate Borland
Skoo Walker, LFHS athletic announcer Photo Courtesy of Nate Borland

Anyone who’s ever been to a Lake Forest Scouts game in the past 30 years has heard his voice. Celebrating three decades behind the mic, LFHS public address announcer Skoo Walker reflects back on his journey which began unexpectedly. 

After graduating from college, the LFHS Class of 1982 graduate attended Scouts games and was invited by a former player he coached to join a local cable broadcast. This led to various roles, from the chain gang at football games to the scoreboard, and eventually to public address announcements at Lake Forest High School.

“There was no real planning. One thing led to another, and here I am, some 30 years later,” Walker said.

Walker’s first game as an announcer was at the old Lindenmeyer Field, next to the high school. Despite feeling nervous and having his voice crack while announcing the starting lineups, he found his passion. 

“To this day, I still get that feeling in my stomach right before I hit the switch,” he said. “When I don’t get that queasy feeling, I’ll know it’s time to stop.”

Over three decades, Walker has witnessed countless memorable moments. One standout game was a double-overtime basketball match in 2014 televised on Chicago area cable between Lake Forest and Stevenson. This game featured stars like future Purdue star Evan Boudreaux for the Scouts and future NBA All-Star Jalen Brunson for Stevenson. 

“The gym was standing room only,” he said. “Ryan Bender hit two buzzer-beaters, and I forgot the mic was still on.”

Another highlight of his career was announcing the girls’ field hockey state championship, which Lake Forest hosted and won.

“It was very cool to announce a state championship and see our team win,” Walker said.

Preparation is key for Walker. He reviews rosters and announcements before each game and strives to be articulate and accurate. 

“I make mistakes, but I try to be as close as possible,” he said.

Balancing professionalism with personality, he chose a straightforward style over flamboyance. 

LFHS Varsity Field

“I decided my style would be to articulate and get the information to the fans quickly before the next play,” he said.

Walker also praises the increased school spirit and the vibrant student section at games.

“I never really had a student section when I was in high school, and our student section (now) , specifically basketball, has me laughing quite a bit. I think that has been such a huge benefit for sports,” said Walker.

What excites Walker most is the positive feedback he receives from people in the stands, making his job worthwhile.  

“People tell me they like hearing me and I do a good job,” said Walker.  

Those who have worked with Walker over the years give him glowing reviews. 

“He is super reliable – the voice of the Scouts – a long-term community member who really loves the blue and gold and has been super supportive of the athletic program,” Athletic Director Tim Burkhalter said.

Walker’s lifelong passion for LFHS athletics has been the key to his longevity as the announcer. 

“Skoo shows up every time we call him. He’s available, he loves his job, and he helps us out with football, soccer, regionals, lacrosse, and field hockey. He’s always ready to go. He’s a great asset for us in the athletic department,” Jean Leccesi, secretary for the athletic department said.

Walker’s advice for aspiring announcers is simple.  

“Find your voice and stick with it. Preparation is key,” Walker said.

Walker’s dedication and passion has made him a significant part of the Lake Forest Scouts community. His voice has become synonymous with the excitement and spirit of Scouts sports, and his story is a testament to the impact one person can have over decades of service. 

“Coolest part for me is that I got to work with former teachers and have developed friendships! How many high school students can say you were my teacher, way back when, now I work with you and you are my friend? Crazy! But also so cool,” he said. “All the staff I have worked with over the years are the reason I kept coming back.”

Walker’s story is not just about announcing games; it’s about community, passion, and the relationships built over 30 years. His enthusiasm for the Scouts and his commitment to LFHS have left a significant mark on everyone who has had the pleasure of hearing his voice at a game.

“Great voice!” said Athletic Trainer Jen Regan.

As for his future, Walker plans to continue as long as the school wants him.

“I love doing this and love Lake Forest,” he said. “Each year, I eagerly await my call from the Athletic Director with the new year’s schedule. It is and always will be fun! GO SCOUTS!”

$1150
$800