Categories:

Breaking the Stigma of CROYA

Photo Courtesy of CROYA
Photo Courtesy of CROYA

There is a unique place that is special to LFHS students: Croya. Croya unites students across many grade levels by hosting retreats, work trips, fundraisers and volunteer opportunities to help the community and delight those that participate in them. Croya is an open-minded place that cultivates friendships and offers a pleasant intermission to the week; Wednesday night meetings have become highly anticipated by members. Croya has exceedingly become an inclusive community.

“Croya is not exclusive and there is no invite needed. You don’t even have to be an active member; you are always wanted there,” said sophomore Madeline Schnack.

When it comes to inviting first-timers to Croya, the immediate response is that Croya is a “cult.” The majority of people that participate in spreading this rumor are, quite frankly, the people who have never attended a retreat or even a Wednesday night meeting. The stigma that surrounds Croya is inaccurate and should be overcome.

People can make assumptions all they want but they really should come join the fun on Wednesday nights and see what Croya is truly like. 

Photo Courtesy of CROYA

“Honestly, when people call Croya a cult, it means they have never been, which makes it even more frustrating. I hear it all the time, even from people I would never expect to hear it from. I used to get upset when someone called it a cult but now when people say it, I try to play it off as a joke saying something like, ‘Yeah, okay, come join it!’ But I’m also in disgust of what they chose to say to me,” said senior Cate Lee.

Lee has recently taken over the role as Croya’s Chairwoman. The Chair of Croya is a highly respected and honorable position— at the peak of Croya’s Executive Committee. The Executive Board meets at the beginning of each month, preparing for future events within the organization. Lee was elected by the Croya student body this past April and has done an excellent job of trying to break the Croya stigma.

“Being the chairwoman for this school year, I have tried to get as many underclassmen as possible to join the first few meetings, which has been a great success. I truly believe you shouldn’t knock it until you try it,” said Lee. 

Sophomore Emmet Lee followed in the footsteps of his sister, promoting the magic of Croya to the younger demographic at LFHS.

“The retreat is where I learned so much about myself and others. I learned how Croya is so much more than people make it out to be,” said sophomore Emmet Lee. “Everyone becomes so  much closer than I would have thought. You create bonds with people that you never would have thought to become friends with.”

Photo Courtesy of CROYA

As well as holding the “cult” stereotype, Croya is thought to mainly be a place for girls, but the community strives to attract a larger demographic of boys. This year, a large number of male freshmen have started to attend weekly meetings, which is refreshing and promising.

Senior Graydon Duncan is the Parliamentarian of Croya, as well as an active member. He embodies the Croya spirit on a high level. 

“Croya is a place where anyone and everyone should be able to have a great time. People often think about Croya in a certain way because they receive their information from certain people. Croya isn’t designated for one specific group of people. Once people decide to see it for themselves, they realize that it is nothing like what they have heard about,” said Duncan.

For freshmen especially, it is the perfect place to cultivate new friendships early on in high school.

“Wednesday nights at Croya have made my high school experience so memorable. Anyone can come, no matter how much they’ve gone in the past. I was definitely nervous to go my freshman year, but I am so grateful I did,” said Croya Service and Leadership Vice Chair, junior Tess Uihlein.

Many argue that Croya is exclusive, even after attending a meeting. If this applies to you, all I can say is that give it a couple more chances, and maybe even sign up for a retreat. The retreat offers a new perspective that helps people overcome their preconceived notions about Croya. The majority of retreat attendees decide to come more frequently after their fall retreat.

Croya could be the place for you— you just have to try it out for yourself. So, next Wednesday, head on down Deerpath Road; you might surprise yourself!

$1050
$800