Categories:

Friday Five

Each week we highlight five people who are doing their part to make LFHS a better place
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Taylor Ross

Patrick Nevin

Senior Patrick Nevin, known as “Pnev,” is a treasured comedic legend. He knows how to cheer people up in any situation.

A down to earth friend is something greatly under appreciated. There’s nothing better than a buddy you can call up for a good time, any time; that’s Pnev. 

“It’s just as easy to have a deep, meaningful conversation with Pnev as it is to crack a joke. That’s why I love the guy,” senior Danny Van Camp said. 

Nevin does not try to be someone he’s not He’s not trying to impress others with an outgoing style, social media followers, boasting about his extravagant trips, or having the coolest car. His loveable personality is more than enough for everyone to respect him. 

“Pnev is kind of the glue of our team. We both play offensive tackle, so we get to spend a lot of time together… When I joined the team sophomore year, Pnev was a junior and he sort of took me under his wing,” said junior Dylan Knutson. 

Nevin is an important part of the Lake Forest Football program. With such a large team, it is easy to get lost in the numbers, but younger players can always look up to Patrick, as he sets a great example. 

Patrick is everyone’s favorite guy to see in the halls. He brightens his peers’ and teachers’ days with a simple greeting. It’s the little things that get noticed. 

Senior Charlie Engelberg shared a more sentimental side of Patrick that many may not have known about him.

“I attended a Croya Halloween party for Camp Hope two years ago. There, I realized that Patrick is a great friend, but a better family member. Patrick’s cousin has special needs and their bond is super special. He knows how to be there for the people he loves.”

Patrick’s joy is a fantastic presence to have in our community. We need more people like Pnev. 

Ava Pasquesi

Junior Ava Pasquesi’s contagious spirit and exceptional work ethic make her an inspiring role model for Lake Forest High School students. Her empathy, selflessness, and respect for her fellow classmates allow her to be a shining example of excellence. 

During Pasquesi’s freshman year, she was a leading teammate on the varsity gymnastics team. Now, as an athlete on the varsity cheerleading team, she is still capable of staying on top of her workload and maintaining her extraordinary personality.

“Ava was an amazing gymnastics teammate but an even better friend. She never fails to impress me with how she can balance her athletics and academics better than anyone I know,” junior Taylor Gaston said. 

Pasquesi has made lifelong friends within the cheerleading team and has created a community she can count on. Senior Helena Florjanic has watched Pasquesi grow into the athlete she is today. 

“I got to know Ava a lot during JV cheerleading freshman year, and I learned that she has a way of lifting the energy up at practice and comforting all her teammates,” Florjanic said. “Now, with her on varsity, even with the higher standard, she still has these amazing qualities with an even higher tone.”

Pasquesi also has a beautiful relationship with her family and close connections with her siblings. Despite all of her responsibilities, she always makes sure to set aside time for her loved ones.

“It’s great being a twin with Ava, and we complement each other nicely. She’s a really fun part of our family, and I can always count on her when I need a laugh,” Ava’s twin brother Luke Pasquesi said. 

Madeleine Axus

As the only freshman on last year’s Lake Forest Varsity Dance Team, Madeleine Axus played a vital role for her team as they defended their state title and won the 2024 IHSA State championship. 

Now a sophomore, Madeleine strives to accomplish her goals inside and outside of practice, pushing herself everyday. She is a driven, kind hearted, exceptionally hard working teammate, who is always there to encourage those around her. 

“Madeleine’s commitment to this team is undeniable. She shows up with 110% effort each day,” Varsity Dance Team captain Blakely Rice said. “She has a focused and full out mindset, as well as an uplifting attitude. Madeleine will always be someone to count on for a good laugh!”

Axus started dancing at 4 years old. She danced at a ballet school in Boston until she moved to Lake Forest when she was 8. She has always been known for her incredible technique and balletic movement quality. She dances with grace and beauty, while still being able to show her strength and confidence. Her passion for dance continues to grow each and every day.

“Madeleine is always working to be the best pip she can be and I have never seen her without a smile on her face,” sophomore Morgan Newman said. “She is such a bright person and always hypes everyone up, her dedication to practice and her team shows through her effortless movements!”

The dedication she brings to her team shines through not just her dancing, but her fun and entertaining personality. 

“Madeleine is truly such a good friend to everyone around her and is always willing to help you out when you need it,” sophomore Malia Donnez said.  She’s truly an amazing person to be around and I’m so incredibly lucky to have a best friend like her!”

Mrs. Dawn Neal

Mrs. Dawn Neal, a dedicated seventh-year study hall teacher, is one of the greatest assets in students’ lives. Currently, as the junior study hall teacher, she’s a secret tucked away in Room 8, where some of our high school memories are created. 

“Mrs. Neal maintains a low profile yet everybody knows her, a lot of students come to her for advice, and I think they are drawn to her. She is very calm and accessible,” said supervisor Michelle Glyman.

Every high school could use a Mrs. Neal.

“Some of my favorite parts of the day are seeing her. I don’t feel like I am talking to a teacher, but rather a friend,” said senior Bella Greazel.  

“Our conversations don’t have to be school-related, sometimes we even talk about shopping.” You may have spotted her around the building in her preppy and chic sense of style. Mrs. Neal rocks the “Lake Forest Look.”

“I think you can count on her. If she doesn’t have an answer, she can get you one. She does all the costumes for the plays and she’s amazing.” said Michelle Glyman.

Since 2008, Mrs. Neal has worked tirelessly on costumes for the musicals and plays. As time approaches, these phenomenal costumes start to make appearances in her room. You can really see the effort she’s putting in.

Mrs. Neal knows the area quite well. As a graduate of Libertyville High School and with two of her children attending LFHS, she understands the students’ environment, including the Lake Forest lifestyle. 

Whether it’s high school drama or life obstacles, she will be there to lend a helping hand.  “I had her for study hall last year but after the year ended, I kept going back to talk her,” senior Ella Boudreau said. 

Her outstanding compassion and support create a feeling of home in the school. She is an unforgettable teacher who will leave a lasting impression on the students. 

Ethan Farrel

Junior Ethan Farrel is as dedicated as they come. Since entering high school, Ethan has cemented himself as a strong athlete. While he dominates on the lacrosse and football fields, Ethan is a sight to see on the squash court.

“Ethan’s unmatched perspicacity coupled with his sheer indefatigability makes him a feared opponent on the squash courts,” said senior Max Wenninger.

Ethan is loved by his teammates for his presence in the locker room. Ethan dominates his opponents, utilizing cross courts deep into the corners of the court. When playing tough opponents, Ethan is always uplifting and makes sure that the team is ready for whatever challenges arise. Although only joining the team as a sophomore in 2023, Ethan has improved his game by leaps and bounds.

Outside of being a three-sport athlete, Ethan sets time aside to volunteer in several different organizations and to give back to the community. 

When asked about Ethan, teammate and close friend, Maxim Cusack had very positive things to say about Ethan.

“Ethan is an awesome kid. Whenever you ask him to hang out, you can count on him being there. Whenever it’s a big moment in a game you can count on him being there. His excellence shines on and off the field and that’s what makes him special. Lastly, his jokes are impeccable; whether he means it as a joke or not Farrell is always one to laugh with,” said junior Maxim Cusack.

$1050
$800