Categories:

Early Graduation: Everything you need to know

Students during the '22 graduation. Photo Courtesy of Melanie Walsh.
Students during the ’22 graduation. Photo Courtesy of Melanie Walsh.

For most students, graduation occurs at the end of senior year. However, that is not the case for all students. 

To graduate at LFHS you must have a total of 19 units of credit, encompassing various required subjects. LFHS offers a multitude of courses that apply to many different interests, which can make up these 19 credits.

Image from the LFHS Student Handbook.

In order to gain these required credits quickly, many students interested in graduating early like to take additional core classes as their elective. This helps students reach the requirements they need to graduate early.

There are numerous reasons as to why someone may want to graduate early, there is not one exact answer, it is entirely situational.

“Some are just anxious to get to the next stage of their education, other students have other circumstances like maybe their family is moving,” Guidance Counselor Maureen Lamick said. “Or it could be someone who is really ambitious and they want to accomplish a goal.”

Many reasons can contribute to a student deciding to graduate early.  Junior Avery Fowler will be attending graduation with the Class of ‘25 and is eager to explore new places following graduation from LFHS.

“I’m looking forward to finally getting out of Lake Forest and finding new places and people to experience,” Fowler said. “I’ve never been a fan of school, so knowing I can (graduate) early makes me very happy; it’s very surreal.”

Students seeking early graduation are excited and eager for the upcoming chapters of their lives. Some are ready to go off to college, and others may be pursuing other interests or a career path that best suits them. 

Photo Courtesy of Melanie Walsh from the Class of ’22 Graduation.

Similar to Fowler, junior Natalee Hoel will also be graduating with the Class of ‘25 at graduation this upcoming spring. She is involved in field hockey, lacrosse, student council, and Big to Little club at LFHS. Hoel is planning on getting her masters degree in Clinical Dietetics and Nutrition.

I am excited, and looking forward to having new opportunities,” Hoel said. “I can’t wait to meet new people and see where my life goes after college!”

As the college preparation process with essays, the ACT, and SAT can be difficult to manage, graduating early can be “a bit stressful,” Fowler said.

“Test scores and my college essay are mainly stressing me out,” Fowler said. “I’m grade-level for math which means I don’t know enough math material for the ACT and SAT, and as a result my scores suffered a lot.” 

The paperwork to graduate early is not due until December 1st. Which allows students time to consider the option.

“I would say for most students, they want that 4 years, and they don’t want to shorten their high school experience,” Lamick said. “But If you can plan accordingly to meet graduation requirements early, and apply to graduate early, I think it is a great option!”

$800
$800