Categories:

Friday Five

Each week we highlight five people who are doing their part to make LFHS a better place
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Taylor Ross

Sawyer Rice

Freshman Sawyer Rice is an exceptionally  talented student who has immediately brought so much energy into the school.

In the spring, Rice expects to be on the track running the 100-meter dash. In the meantime, he is playing on the freshman soccer team. 

“He brings aggression to the field by being extremely fast on defense,” freshman Tighe Westfall said. “He is also one of the biggest leaders on our team while leading the back line on defense.” 

Rice started his summer by taking part in New Media’s Summer Stories. Rice was able to work with several high school students and professionals in the film industry. His work ethic has not gone unnoticed.

“I’ve worked with Sawyer on multiple different New Media projects, and his passion and enthusiasm for everything he works on never fades,” junior Ford Davie said.

Despite being the youngest in the family, Rice has always been very mature for his age. His friends say they respect his optimistic attitude, accountability, and work ethic.

“Sawyer is such a good friend; he is funny, kind and does his best to include everyone,” freshman Sienna Walsh said. “He puts in effort into everything he does-from academics to athletics; he is always striving to work harder.” 

Eliza Carrabine

Junior Eliza Carrabine is the epitome of a Lake Forest Scout. She brings the best energy to every classroom she is in. She is kind, compassionate, hardworking, and hilarious. She’s got the brains, the brawn, and the style. 

As a member of the girl’s tennis and lacrosse teams since her freshman year, Eliza has learned to sharpen her leadership skills. . This year, she decided to step up and take on the role of JV Tennis Manager. 

“Eliza’s positive energy motivates everyone to play their best while having fun. She plays the best music too! When she comes to practice, we know it’s going to be a good one,” teammate Anna Jasper said. 

As if tackling hard classes, working at her mom’s store, and managing a sport isn’t hard enough, Eliza shows up to every Wednesday night meeting with her warm and welcoming presence. 

In May, her peers voted her CSL Vice Chair for the CROYA Executive Board.

“Eliza’s passion for CROYA is no secret, as she puts so much joy and energy into everything she does for CSL. Planning leadership opportunities with her is so fun because she is so easy to bounce ideas off of,” CSL Chair Michaela Barry said. 

She’s not just a high achiever, but she’s also a trendsetter. If you know anything about Eliza, it’s that she has an eye for fashion. Whether in a sweater and jeans, a tennis skirt, or a lacrosse uniform, she brings a touch of chic to everything she wears. 

“Eliza is the first person I look to tell anything, She lights up any room not just with her presence but also with her witty humor. She is the absolute best person to have as a friend, and she gives the best fashion advice,” Elizabeth Specketer said.

Despite her jam-packed schedule, she often finds time to be a supportive friend. She knows exactly how to make everyone feel welcome and never misses a beat on giving encouraging advice. Eliza’s witty humor, work ethic, and loyalty are admirable, and she’s constantly influencing those around her to be the best versions of themselves. 

Stella Olivi

Sophomore Stella Olivi is an exceptional athlete, a compassionate friend, and an ambitious student. The member of the Varsity Cheer team and Girls Lacrosse team is also a dedicated student who doesn’t let anything get in her way of achieving her goals.

Stella has already made an important impact on the cheer team. 

“Stella is always supportive of everyone and will encourage people to try their best even when challenges arise,” Varsity teammate Molly Clark said. “Stella is such a kind person. She is super hard working and always pushes us to be the best versions of ourselves.” 

Her bright personality is what makes her stand out among the rest. Stella always has a positive outlook and makes everyone feel like they belong. 

“Stella is one of the most hardworking people I know,” sophomore Katherine St. Amand said. “She always puts her best foot forward on the field; and I can’t wait to see what she will accomplish.”

Stella’s uncle is a professional chef and has taught her to cook in her free time. She enjoys making vodka pasta and homemade mac and cheese. But her favorite thing to make is homemade pizzas.

She also joined the Fellowship of Christian Athletes club this year, and she is excited to make a difference among athletes and how their faith can affect how they perform.

Stella in the winter enjoys skiing, which she has been doing it since she was 2 years old. She takes the endurance and willpower from skiing into how she performs on the mat. 

Frank Catalano

Just about every athlete hopes for a teammate who knows how to brings the energy

Senior Frank Catalano, a first-year varsity defenseman, is one of these teammates. No matter the situation or score, Frank makes sure everyone is ready. 

Over the past year, Frank has evolved his game, working all spring and summer to improve. Over the summer he attended camps and went to some private skates to further improve.

As one of the top defensemen for the team, there is a lot of pressure on Frank this year.  

“Frank is one of the smartest players on the ice at all times. That’s why whenever he steps on the ice, he is a threat on both offense and defense,” said teammate Will Frentzas.

He doesn’t only push and motivate his teammates, but also everyone around him.  His work ethic elevates the performance of the whole team.

Frank makes his biggest impact off the ice: He loves spending time with his friends, golfing, and going to winter club during the winter. 

Tim Dan

Tim Dan is widely know as the captain for the football team and state qualifier for track and field. His impact on the people around him is much deeper than that, however.

The oldest seven kids, Dan’s impact on the people around him is seen in all aspects of his life, as he is know for his natural ability to be a leader.

Tim’s younger brother Marcus Dan said Tim’s “brotherly leadership” helps guide his siblings “in the right direction.”

“He is responsible so even though we may have done something or taken part (in something), he takes responsibility and helps relieve us of our trouble,” Marcus said.

Dan knows how to balance getting work done and have a fun time. In his time off the field, he spends a lot of time towards his religion. Wednesdays before school, Dan leads the Lake Forest High School Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). 

“I had the pleasure of leading the FCA club with Tim, and the leadership he took up, as well as the passion he had for learning and growing in our religion, was a real inspiration for myself to be better as well,” Danny Van Camp said.

Marcus applauds his brother’s patience, but also says having Tim for a brother means life is “never boring.”

“He is very patient especially towards me, whether I need help with sport, with my instrument or just plain old life, he is patient and doesn’t hesitate to help when he sees us struggle. Also he knows how to have fun, whether it is to play sports with us, go to the park, or watch a movie,” Marcus said. 

$800
$800