Categories:

Friday Five

Each week we highlight five people who are doing their part to make LFHS a better place
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Taylor Ross

Bella Kowalski

Freshman Bella Kowalski is an outstanding field hockey player. Her determination and impressive skill helps her shine bright on the field. 

Bella has an important role in the LFHS JV Field Hockey Team. She always gives her all and fights hard until the game is over. Bella applies what she has learned from her club team, Windy City, and uses it to her advantage in challenging moments. She is willing to help newer players understand both the mental and physical parts that come along with the sport. Her high game IQ helps build strategies to push the team towards success, her captains say. 

“Bella is such an amazing person on and off the field. Every single practice and game she is always working her hardest trying to push herself to get better,” said sophomore Lauren Hanson, co-captain of the JV field hockey team. She is one of the most skilled on the team and a caring friend to everyone. 

Her high intensity and focus motivate her team to reach their full potential. Bella is friendly and funny at the right times but knows when to lock into the game. 

“Bella is a hard-working and determined athlete, and she shows it at every practice and game. She is constantly improving and trying new things and new skills which is very inspiring to other players,” said sophomore Addie Ginn, another co-captain of the JV field hockey team. 

Bella always has a smile on her face and helps the team create a stronger bond with each other. Her attitude uplifts others around her and encourages everyone to try their hardest. Bella’s positive mindset makes a fun and hardworking environment.

“She doesn’t focus on what went wrong during a game but instead on what to do next,” said junior Olivia Niemi.

Bella’s effort to stay in the present helps drive the team to many wins while getting through highly stressful and competitive situations during the game. 

“She is a very skilled player who can make a strong contribution all across the field,” said junior Lila Mcbean.

Her strong hits and fast strides down the field give the team plenty of opportunities to create amazing plays and score many goals. She provides the team with her best insight due to all the experience she has in field hockey.

Bella is a very inclusive teammate and is kind to all helping her be a well-liked friend and player. Lots of players on the team are inspired by her skill and work ethic. “She is one of the players I look up to the most,” said Hanson.

Although Bella is only a freshman, she is one of the most talented players on the team and has a bright future ahead of herself in the Lake Forest Field Hockey program. 

Ava Page

Sophomore Ava Page is one of the most adventurous girls you will ever meet. She has a strong passion for traveling all over the world, no matter the climate. 

From getting stuck in a hurricane in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to coming face to face with a silverback Gorilla in Uganda, she is always up for a good time. 

In addition to her love for travel, she enjoys spending time in the kitchen cooking meals for all of her friends. Some of her favorite meals to make are a vodka sauce pasta or cucumber salad. 

“Ava is always cooking up something good for us when we are hungry and her meals are top-notch,” said friend Shea Millilman. “If we’re sleeping over at her house, it’s usually expected that pasta will be our late-night snack.”

Her talents in the kitchen also transfer to the classroom. Ava is a hard working student who has always taken school seriously and set her academics as a top priority. She is always seen doing her homework in all of the Resource Centers. Her friends like to say Ava is the definition of “eat, sleep, MRC, repeat.”

Outside of her assignments, Ava comes to school rocking a cute outfit every single day. Her closet is inspired by her favorite brands: Zara, Edikted, Garage, and Brandy Melville. 

“Ava has such an incredible style and she always looks amazing,” friend Sabine Henshaw said. “Her fashion sense inspires me more and more every day when I see her wearing a new outfit.”

As all of her friends admire her talents, they also appreciate her friendship and her loving qualities. 

“One of Ava’s best traits is her loyalty,” said friend Teagan Hoopis. “She is always there for me whenever I need someone to talk to which makes her so enjoyable to hang out with.” 

Ava is the definition of a well-rounded person. She knows how to balance her social life and academic life while also leaving time to prioritize her hobbies. She lives her life to the fullest and has a blast doing it!

Bridget Lucier

Through her remarkable contributions and infectious positivity, sophomore Bridget Lucier is making her mark at school. It’s no surprise she excels in a leadership role, given her strong friendship with her peers and the respected reputation she has built for herself. 

She is involved in Student Council as well as the JV Dance Team. Her teammates truly value her presence on the team as she is constantly giving 100% to everything she does. It is only her second year on the Dance Team, and she has already adapted to being a veteran the freshmen can appreciate and admire. Throughout every practice, she can be seen with a beaming smile and an encouraging attitude. 

Beyond her commitment to the team, she is dedicated to practicing outside of the studio to further her skills and grow the team’s overall performance. All-inclusive, Lucier is an integral teammate, being the type of person who always has the team’s success as her number one priority.

Sophomore Sam Morris says, “I’ve danced with Bridget since I was five; she brings so much positivity everywhere she goes. She is always motivated during our practices and consistently pushes herself to keep getting better and better! After a long day of school, I get so excited to see her at practice; she brightens my day. Bridget is best at making people feel welcome. I feel like I can go to her about anything, and can trust her. I’m so grateful for our friendship!”

Along with dance, Lucier juggles Student Council in the mornings before her busy school day starts. Her dedication to the commitments in her life makes her an influential student to the rest.

“Bridget is truly the sweetest girl I know. She treats others with the most stunning compassion, and she truly cares about what she does,” sophomore Quinn Bukaty says. “She is the hardest working person I know, whether that is shown through her dedication to dance or school. I’m lucky to call her my best friend. She inspires me to be better every day!”

All in all, Bridget possesses an intangible quality that makes her an authentic friend everyone deserves to have by their side. She truly has a heart of gold and can be described as someone who has a remarkably kind and caring demeanor.

Mrs. Jennifer Thomas

Upon entering the ceramics classroom, Mrs. Jennifer Thomas’s kindness, compassion, and empathy are immediately apparent with the classroom wall replete with uplifting quotes on staying positive, patient, and considerate. Her drive to create a nurturing and supportive environment is a vital part of LFHS’s Art Department, inspiring both students and fellow teachers. 

“There aren’t enough good things to say about Mrs. Thomas. She is a great person in every aspect of her life. Whether it be teaching in the classroom or raising her daughter Lola, she never fails to work hard, make jokes, and demonstrate deep understanding. Her ability to consider all perspectives in any situation is a rare and admirable quality among educators,” says her close friend and colleague Ellen Herget.

Many students, whether they have had her as a teacher or not, have been positively impacted by Thomas’s spirit. 

Senior ceramics student AJ Bielski says, “Even though I haven’t had her as a teacher, I’ve noticed her support throughout my artistic growth. Recently, when I was about to destroy my piece, she came over, helped me fix it, and reassured me that art takes time.”

As a teacher of Photography, Ceramics and Crafts and Design, Thomas’s creativity, grace, and care motivate students to excel both academically and personally. Beyond the classroom, her influence extends as a co-sponsor of the Art Club and a devoted mother. Her dedication and genuine support make her an irreplaceable asset to our school community.

Charlie Engelberg

Senior Charlie Engelberg spent a week this past summer spreading happiness and giving back to his community. For the third year in a row, Charlie spent part of his summer break up at Camp Henry Horner volunteering for Camp Hope.

Camp Hope is a five-day recreational camp for teenagers and adults with physical and mental disabilities. Here, many campers can simply enjoy activities they may not be able to at home.

Charlie Engelberg has played such an important role in ensuring these campers have amazing summers every year. 

“Charlie impressed me with his patience and resilience,” junior Burke Konz said. “He made sure that his camper had the most fun possible.”

Whether everyone is eating, playing basketball, or traveling to the lake, Charlie always finds a way to bring energy to make camp more enjoyable for all those who attend.

“He’s an anchor of Camp Hope. Everyone loves Charlie and can’t wait for him to be back again next year,” said alumni and Camp Hope group leader Andy Brown.

At Camp Hope, Charlie has been able to create new bonds with people he would not have otherwise met. He also continues to build on those friendships he has created.

It was amazing to witness how easy it was for Charlie to become friends with people he had just met. By the first night of camp, Charlie was already talking up a storm with just about everybody. 

“His constant positivity and dedication have made an amazing impact on the Camp Hope community,” said senior Agnes Vedra.

Even though Camp Hope only lasts one week, Charlie is able to create memories with campers and buddies that will last a lifetime.

$800
$800