Categories:

Champions On and Off the Field: Extracurriculars Can Lead to Success in Classroom

Girls Varsity Field Hockey after win during their 2024 season. Photo courtesy of Agnes Vedra.

Lake Forest High School thrives on school spirit, with a strong emphasis on athletic and extracurricular involvement. In 2024, both Varsity Dance and Varsity Mens Lacrosse reached remarkable athletic success, winning state championships.

Yet, it’s not just athletic achievements that set these students apart. Those who actively participate in sports, clubs, theater and other activities also excel academically, consistently earning top GPAs, according to district data released in August.

Engagement in extracurricular activities proves to be more than a pastime or college resume enhancer; it is directly linked to academic success. Students involved in multiple clubs and activities maintain higher GPAs compared to those who do not participate in any activities. Those involved in four or more activities average a GPA of 4.88, while those with no extracurricular involvement average a GPA of 4.11,  according to the August issue of “Insight 67 & 115,” the Lake Forest community newsletter . 

“Insight 67 & 115,” published on August 19th.

Student Activities Director Ms. Ashleigh Malec said she suspects that the more engaged students are in their school environment, the more likely they are to succeed academically.

“The more connected students are to the school as a whole, the more likely they are to enjoy or find purpose in the work they are doing in the classroom,” Malec said. 

Malec said that not only does students’ sense of belonging  lead to more involvement in extracurriculars, but the rigor between school and activities helps students develop skills such as time management and goal setting.

“I also believe that when students are more scheduled – within reason, not overscheduled – they are able to manage their time more intentionally. They use their free time to get homework done, knowing they have a commitment after school already and are able to know when they need to really focus,” Malec said. 

According to the University of South Florida, athletes often have higher GPAs during their sports season compared to the off-season. This is largely due to the demanding practice schedule, which requires them to develop strong time management skills in order to balance their academic responsibilities with their athletic commitments. 

State Champion Mens Varsity Lacrosse. Photo Courtesy of Colin Peters.

Student Body President Kat Yakes said involving herself in a variety of high commitment clubs is the “key factor” in maintaining her grades.

“Keeping a busy schedule has me constantly motivated to do more than I already am doing, especially with school work,” Yakes said. “Being a leader in so many clubs as well, it is important to me to be a role model to underclassmen to show that it’s easily manageable to not only do schoolwork but be involved within our school as well.” 

However,  some students said that high commitment activities can be hard to balance while managing their grades.  

Maeve Farrell, 2024 Junior Class President and varsity athlete, finds that participating in sports and clubs on top of school work is “challenging and sometimes exhausting.”

“I frequently find myself having to choose studying over spending time with friends or family which can be upsetting. Going straight from school to practice and then doing homework very late at night while trying to make time for friends, family, and college applications has been super challenging this year,” Farrell said. “Although it’s a lot, it is manageable, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.” 

Some students might find the balance challenging; however, Malec said that beyond the academic results from more activities, students can “build meaningful relationships” and feel like they belong. 

Lake Forest Varsity Dance Team, 2024 State Champions Photo Courtesy of Dan Tennett.

“It’s a space where they learn what it means to be a trusted member of a group and to know the motivation that is working towards a common goal. In both clubs and athletics, being coachable is a huge part of the life skills we want students to take with them after LFHS,” Malec said.

As stated in the National Center for Education Statistics, extracurricular activities enhance classroom learning by giving students the chance to apply academic skills in real-world situations, making them an essential component of a well-rounded education.

“I believe it is important for students to participate in extracurriculars because it helps you find your people,” Malec said. “When you walk into a meeting for a club like Hellenic Club or Mock Trial, you know that you immediately have something in common with everyone in the room. That shared interest is the first point of connection and the way you choose to participate only furthers your chances to meet new people and potentially new friends.”

$800
$800