Categories:

One Acts: LFHS Theater Kickstarts Their Year Through Engaging One Act Performances

Junior Jackson Sorenson and Sophomore Nico Caputo during "Hot to Trot." Photo Courtesy of Katie-May Newman
Junior Jackson Sorenson and Sophomore Nico Caputo during “Hot to Trot.” Photo Courtesy of Katie-May Newman

On Saturday, LFHS Theater held their annual One Acts, featuring senior directors and underclassmen cast members. This event kicks off the beginning of the theater season, recently becoming a tradition that many look forward to. 

One Acts consists of a series of 15-minute plays directed exclusively by seniors. High stake dramas and hilarious comedies come together to create the show. Each night, the cast members of each show dedicated an hour and a half to prepare and perfect their acts.

For seniors, directing this coveted event is a highly anticipated opportunity that they wait their entire high school career’s for. Senior Katie-May Newman, director of “Hot to Trot,” said she “absolutely loved it.”

“Being a director is a completely different ball game. Of course having acting experience helps when directing, but the two are so different,” Newman said. “It was so cool to see a vision you have in your brain come to life on stage!”

Senior directors Sarah Noble and Millie Foley. Photo Courtesy of Katie May Newman

Newman’s directing experience was unique. Seniors usually only direct plays written by other theater members. She not only directed her play, but wrote it as well.

“My co-director and I had been working on this show since early June, and there was truly nothing like seeing it come to life on stage,” Newman said. “We stood in the wings during the performance, gripping each other’s hands out of anxiety, but also in complete awe at the talent of our actors.”

Senior director Sarah Noble said that having larger roles in the planning and preparing process of the One Acts was more time consuming, but overall worth it in the end. 

“It was so rewarding to get to see our shows up on the stage and to see our cast performing. Our cast worked so hard so I was so proud of all of them,” Noble said. “It has increased my confidence in directing and makes me more open to potentially directing in the future.” 

Not only do the senior directors work hard to bring their acts tolife, but the underclassmen cast members work especially hard to showcase their talent and perfect their roles. The One Acts showcase the rising talent of the underclassman and help them dive into theater at LFHS.

Sophomore Claire Kaiser, who performed in “I Quit: A Guide to Leaving Your Job in Style” and “Action News: Now with 10% More Action,” said the dress rehearsal is the most “rewarding” aspect of the whole One Acts experience.

“We not only got to perform our show for all the other actors and directors, but we got to see all the other shows. It was super amazing to see everyone come together in such a short time,” said Kaiser.

Although the directing process is challenging, it teaches seniors new and important aspects of directing.

Junior Jackson Sorensen in “Spying on a Budget.” Photo Courtesy of Katie-May Newman

“It really showed me how difficult it was to grab high schoolers attention, especially since I am such good friends with the people in my cast,” Newman said. “It opened myeyes to how many factors go into creating a smooth production (props, actor conflicts, set design, blocking, etc.), and it definitely made me more grateful for the amazing directors that I get to work with.”

The hard work of the LFHS Theater program is evident in their array of shows each year. Kickstarting their year, the One Acts highlight the dedication and hard work of both underclassmen and upperclassmen.

“We work for one goal: to bring happiness to the people that come to watch our shows,” Kaiser said.

This year’s One Act plays are listed below.

Spying on a Budget

By Marek Muller

Produced by special arrangement with Heuer Publishing

Directed by Chip Bailey and Lauren Kiesling

Cast: Nate Myers, Alice Jenkins, Jackson Sorensen, Egan Walsh, Noa Burke, Olivia Montoya, Lia Bastianelli, Jack Carroll, Kaia Few, Julia Muller

Founding Fathers (Mothers)

By Don Zolidis

Produced by special arrangement with Playscripts, Inc.

Directed by Fiona Inkmann and Katie Kollasch

Cast: Rex Morrison, Katie Kollasch, Daniel Flores, Lily Kienzle, Sarah McClamroch, Elizabeth Montgomery

Hot to Trot

By Katie-May Newman and Kallista Schneiderman

Produced by special arrangement with Katie-May Newman and Kallista Schneiderman

Directed by Katie-May Newman and Kallista Schneiderman

Cast: Nico Caputo, Jess Kavanagh, Isabella Montanari, Jay Rener, Liam Sheridan, Jackson Sorensen, Brady Stadolnik, Libby Whidden, Clare Kaiser

Action News: Now with 10% More Action

By Jonathan Rand

Produced by special arrangement with Boiled Sweets, LLC

Directed by Millie Foley and Sarah Noble

Cast: Jacquelyn Montgomery, Nathan Pfahl, Will Trager, Liam Sheridan, Clare Kaiser, Blake Spezzano, Daniel Flores, Nicole Janowicz, Briana Bennett

The Spot

By Steven Dietz

Directed by Siobhan Boyle and Carina DiVito

Cast: Aibhilin Helms, Will Trager, Brady Stadolnik, Abby Rickmeier, Jay Rener, Blake Spezzano

I Quit: A Guide to Leaving Your Job in Style

By Patrick Greene

Produced by special arrangement with Stage Partners

Directed by Declan Boyle and Nora Sharman

Cast: Jessica Kavanagh, Eloise Fairchild, Kaia Few, Jacquelyn Montgomery, Clare Kaiser, Nico Caputo, Egan Walsh, Luke Newman, Nate Myers

$800
$800