Which senior superlative best describes you?

Thank you, LFHS

Photo+courtesy+of+Kelsey+Bumbaco.+
Photo courtesy of Kelsey Bumbaco.

Over the past weeks, I’ve stared at a blank document titled: Graduation Speech. I’ve stared, and stared, and stared, and up until a little bit ago I probably had written roughly two sentences. Because how can I fathom writing a three minute speech that encapsulates my entire four year high school experience? How can I be limited to write so little, when I have so much to say? 

High school has been a journey unlike any other. Starting freshman year online with hearing Mr. Harmsen yelling, “BUMBACOOO” every day on my Biology google meets, to the nostalgia of senior year. Each moment, big or small, has left an undeniable impact on the person I am today.  

As I finally forced myself to write more than two sentences of my speech, I’ve come to terms that my high school career is officially coming to an end. I understand that I no longer will have to suffer through silent morning drives with my younger brother, the early morning meetings, and the late nights studying. I will no longer be able to see my favorite teachers and educators. But most importantly, I will no longer be attending the same school with the people I’ve grown up with. 

Friends on the last day of school. Photo courtesy of Kelsey Bumbaco.

Although there are so many things that I will not be able to do anymore, there are also so many things I am extremely grateful for. 

My freshman year, I showed up to golf tryouts having maybe three weeks of experience under my belt. I stood in the line, waiting for Coach Johnson to call my name to give me my scorecard. I was just hoping I wouldn’t lose all my balls before the round was over. Little did I know, this was a sport that would play a vital role in my life for the rest of my high school career. Golf is a sport that has taught me far more than just how to swing a club. It has taught me patience, resilience, and camaraderie. 

Girls Golf Senior night. Photo courtesy of Kelsey Bumbaco

If you had asked me four years ago today, if I had thought that I would be standing up at graduation as the Class President, I probably would have laughed in your face. At LFHS we are constantly encouraged to go beyond our comfort zone . Whether that’s wearing an elf costume for an entire day to get people excited for spirit week or trying out a new sport, there’s always something for someone. Luckily, I found my something in the everyday leadership role. 

Thank you to The Forest Scout and to journalism for being a class that has allowed me to explore my creative abilities- a class that has boosted my confidence and helped me find my passions along the way. Through writing and through editing, I’ve learned the importance of accountability and learning how to put myself out there. I’ve learned not to be afraid to share my ideas and my opinions. 

I realized that after today, I will no longer have rap battles in my Grammar and Composition class, I will no longer be allowed to sit in the student section at sporting events, no longer take my first/last day of school pictures with my family, and no longer see the cheerful faces of faculty throughout the halls each day. I’ve realized that it’s not the major moments like the Homecoming Dance or the football games that I will miss the most. The seemingly small moments are the ones I’ll cherish the most, for they encapsulate the essence of high school life – joy, camaraderie, and togetherness.

This week, as I drove with my brother to the school for the very last time, it finally hit me. The days of my once dreaded silent drives are now over. The day I thought I would look forward to, now brought me sadness and tears. I remember hearing on my first day of high school that, “it goes by so fast so take advantage of it.” I never realized how fast it actually went by. It’s hit me that the classmates that I’ve succeeded with, failed with, and most importantly grown up with, some I will no longer see again. 

Thank you LFHS, for creating a space that has given me friends and bonds that I will forever cherish. So thank you, Lake Forest High School you will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Kelsey on the first day of Kindergarten. Photo courtesy of Kelsey Bumbaco